Passport Required for Mexico Travel: A valid U.S. passport is required for all to enter and exit Mexico. Birth certificates are no longer accepted as appropriate documentation. Only a passport will get you in and out - by both land and air. Info and links to application forms are below.
The Passport Card: In addition to the traditional passport book, a passport card is now being issued for a much cheaper price. The U.S. passport card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air.
Passport Book / Card Prices
|New Book: 16 & older||$135|
|New Book: 15 & younger||$105|
|New Card: 16 & older||$30 with passport or $55 by itself|
|New Card: 15 & younger||$15 with passport or $40 by itself|
|Renewal Book: 16 & older *||$110|
* If you already own a passport book, but would like a new passport card, you pay only for cost the cost of the card and not the execution fee.
Passport Websites & Forms:
The Department of State Passport Page provides all the forms and info for your specific needs:
- Applying for or Renewing a Passport
- Passport Card Information
- Passport Fees
- Application Processing Times
- What to Do About a Lost or Stolen Passport?
Steps to Applying for a Passport:
- Complete the correct passport application for your needs. All information must be accurate. Do NOT sign the application form until the Passport Acceptance Agent instructs you to do so.
- Apply in person at a Passport Application Acceptance Office. Office locations can be found at https://iafdb.travel.state.gov/
- You will need an original or certified copy of your birth certificate or a previous passport.
- Include two passport-style photos. These can be taken at post offices and mail centers.
- Those 16 & older, bring your driver's license or state ID. Those 16 & younger must be accompanied by parents/guardians with appropriate ID.
- Don't forget your payment! Refer to the chart above. Accepted payment methods: Credit Card, Debit/Check Cards, and Checks (personal, certified, or cashiers' ).