Information for Nazarene Pastors
Point Loma is pleased to partner with Nazarene Churches in the Hawaii Pacific and Northern California Districts to place students in summer ministry internships. Many of our students have been blessed and challenged by hands-on ministry experience working alongside pastors. Interns support a variety of ministries: youth discipleship, children, music, outreach, compassionate ministry, and church administration. The success of the intern program relies on resources and dedication from the church, the intern, and PLNU.
Churches commit to provide:
- A ¾ time to fulltime job description that lists expected ministry tasks and details the number of hours per week to be spent on each ministry/task
- Supervision and mentorship from church leadership- In addition to regular contact, the intern should expect a weekly meeting for constructive feedback with a supervisor
- Safe and healthy housing in home-stay or in church-owned residence
- Food in home-stay or provision of grocery budget
- Insured transportation as necessary for work
Interns commit to provide:
- Best efforts at successful ministry (hard work, self initiated work under your guidance)
- Work that is in line with your church’s ministry aims and budget planning
- Consistent communication with internship supervisor and PLNU
- Positive can-do volunteer attitude, desire to reach out to your people
- Completion of agreed length of volunteer internship
PLNU commits to provide:
- Pre-internship student training
- Intern manual for churches
- Round-trip travel to internship site
- Regular contact throughout summer
- Mid-summer intern retreat (interns will not be away Sunday AM or Wednesday PM)
- Post-internship debriefing
- $500 stipend to intern for incidental expenses (toiletries, gas for day off, telephone, etc.)
It is important to note that not all intern applicants are Nazarene and not all are pursuing fulltime ministry, though some do meet one or both of those conditions.
The application process for internships will begin January 2015. If you are interested in being contacted at that time, please fill out the Nazarene Pastor Interest Form.