Dean of College of Arts & Sciences
Kathryn G. McConnell, Ph.D.
- Dean of College of Arts & Sciences
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 619-849-2412
- Phone: (fax) 619-849-7018
- B.A. Pasadena College - Spanish
- M.A. Point Loma/Pasadena College - Education
- M.A. Boston College - Spanish Literature
- Ph.D. University of California, Los Angeles - Hispanic Languages and Literature
Kathryn McConnell has been with Point Loma for over thirty years. Before coming to PLNU, she worked at Eastern Nazarene College for five years and in the public school system of Brocton, Massachusetts. While at Point Loma, Kathryn has served on most major committees including Academic Policies of which she now holds the position of chair. Most recently, she has completed a three year tenure as Chief Academic Marshal where she organized faculty participation for nine commencement ceremonies. She has also worked on various search and ad hoc committees for the institution. In addition, she has chaired the Department of Literature, Journalism & Modern Languages on two occasions and filled many other administrative positions.
She has spent the bulk of her time at Point Loma immersed in guiding students in the Spanish language, literature and culture. She has traveled extensively in Spanish speaking countries, principally in Spain, where she has conducted research in Madrid’s major libraries: the Hemeroteca Nacional and Municipal; the Prado library; Biblioteca Nacional; Filmoteca Nacional; and the Biblioteca Jose Ortega y Gasset. She has also been a visiting professor in Baoding, China where she lectured on film theory and language proficiency.
She has made numerous conference presentations on literature and film both nationally and internationally and has authored articles in journals such as Hispania, Mester, Dictionary of Literary Biography and España Contemporánea. She has also authored several inspirational articles and translations for Point Loma Press.
She makes her home in the Tierrasanta neighborhood of San Diego, where she lives with her husband Michael, who teaches Biology at PLNU. They have one son, Jonathan who attends and studies Business-Economics at the University of California, Santa Cruz.
- Oversee the College of Arts & Sciences: Art; Biology; Chemistry; Math & Computer Science; Literature, Journalism & Modern Languages; Physics; History & Political Science; School of Theology & Christian Ministry; Music
- Recruitment and hiring of full time and adjunct faculty, faculty evaluation, department assessment and review, curriculum revision
- Serves as Chair of the Academic Policies Committee
Professional Memberships and Honors
- American Council on Teaching Foreign Language
- California Teachers' Association
- National Education Association
- North American Christian Foreign Language Association, executive board, seven years
- Penninsularists of Southern California
- Phi Delta, Academic Honor Society, former International Secretary