Cal Grant A and B Awards for Use in Teaching Credential Programs

Students enrolled in a qualified teaching credential program may be eligible to renew their Cal Grant A or B award for an additional year after receiving their bachelor’s degree. Teaching Credential Program (TCP) participants must continue to meet Cal Grant A or B program requirements and demonstrate financial need. This is a benefit extension to an existing Cal Grant program award. Students must submit a Request for Cal Grant Teaching Credential Program Benefits Form (G-44).

Cal Grant A and B recipients are eligible to be paid Cal Grant TCP benefits for use in a teaching credential program if they:

  • Have received a Bachelor’s degree
  • Are accepted and enrolled in a professional teacher preparation program at a California Commission on Teacher Credentialing approved institution within 15 months of the end of the term for which the recipient last received a Cal Grant payment
  • Have not received or submitted an application for an initial Teaching Credential, such as a Preliminary or Clear Credential
  • Do not currently possess any other initial teaching credential
  • Maintain financial need for Cal Grant Renewal
  • Will be enrolled in at least three units as an MAT student. MAT students are considered full time at 6 or more units. Students whose tuition charges are less than the Cal Grant award amount may have their award reduced to match the tuition amount.

Follow these steps to apply for Cal Grant TCP:

STEP 1:FSA IDRetrieve your Federal Student Aid ID you received when filling out the FAFSA. If you no longer remember your ID, you can retrieve it here.
STEP 2:FAFSA ON THE WEBAfter retrieving your FSA ID, you are able to fill out the online version of the FAFSA. A new FAFSA must be filed for each school year attended. Please file your FAFSA as soon as possible to ensure timely processing of your financial aid package.

PLNU’s School Code: 001262
STEP 3:FORM G-44The Request for Cal Grant Teaching Credential Program Benefits (Form G-44) must be submitted to the California Student Aid Commission within 15 months of either exhausting undergraduate Cal Grant benefits or of receiving a B.A. or B.S. degree. The Commission must approve the G-44 application prior to PLNU awarding the Cal Grants

For additional information about Cal Grants, visit the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) online at or at