Veterans Administration (VA) benefits are awarded to veterans of the Armed Services and dependents who qualify. Please contact your local Veteran's Affairs office or click for more information and to begin the application process. VA awards must be certified by the University. For further help and processing your certifications, please contact Raquel Aparicio, VA coordinator in Student Financial Services (SFS) at 619-849-2497 or by email at .
Students who are 100% eligible for Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill are authorized to receive up to $18,077.50 in VA monies for the 2012/13 academic year, and $19,198 for the 2013/14 academic year.
If you are 100% eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill, the VA will cover all of your tuition and fees for the fall semester, and you will receive the remaining of the $18,077.50 in the spring semester.
For those attending classes at the greater than half time rate, a Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) based on the Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) for an E-5 with dependents at the location of the school, please click for BAH calculations. (Note: Active duty students and their spouses cannot receive a MHA.)
An annual book and supplies stipend of $1,000 paid proportionately based on enrollment.
VA benefits may be treated as a resource that counts against the student’s eligibility for certain need-based state and institutional grants and scholarships
If you are interested in other scholarship opportunities for military students, click on www.todaysmilitary.com to learn about financial aid offered by the U.S. Armed Forces.
The Yellow Ribbon Program
The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program) is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. This program allows institutions of higher learning (degree granting institutions) in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with VA to fund tuition and fee expenses that exceed the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition rate. Point Loma Nazarene University will match up to $7,500 of remaining tuition and fees charged after the primary Chapter 33 tuition benefit has been certified and verified by VA. Amounts and number of awards are dependent on available funds for each Academic Year and are not guaranteed to applicants until the final budget is approved by the Board of Directors. Award decisions will be made in writing to the eligible students.
After consulting with the VA and determining your maximum eligibility rate, only those with a 100% benefit rate may receive this funding. Therefore, a student may be eligible if:
· They are 100% eligible for Chapter 13 Post 9/11 GI Bill.
· They are a dependent eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill based on a veteran’s service under the eligibility criteria listed above.
· They are accepted for admission at PLNU for the upcoming Academic Year, they are an applied student or they are in good academic standing as a returning student; applied and returning students must be registered as a full time student at the time the award is disbursed.
PLNU Yellow Ribbon Grants will be awarded on a first come-first served basis, determined by the date and time of receipt of all completed application requirements to the SFS office:
· A completed and signed PLNU Yellow Ribbon Program Grant Application
· A valid Certificate of Eligibility from the Veteran’s Administration certifying 100% eligibility for the Yellow Ribbon Program
· New students: Documentation confirming acceptance to PLNU for the upcoming Academic Year OR
· Returning Students: Documentation confirming status as a student in good academic standing for the current academic year (a Student Verification Form which is available from the Office of Records).
If you believe that you are eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program, please contact Raquel Aparicio (via email: RaquelAparicio@pointloma.edu or phone: 619-849-2497) to be added to the Interest List for the next academic school year.
The 2013-2014 Yellow Ribbon Program Application is now available.
Click here to access the application.
Yellow Ribbon Program monies are only awarded in the spring term. At this time, your Post 9/11 GI BILL and Yellow Ribbon Program monies will cover 100% of your fall and spring semester tuition and fee charges.