It is important to note that the Department of Education randomly selects students who have completed the FAFSA for a process called verification. Therefore, if you are selected for verification, you were selected by the Department of Education, not PLNU, but you must verify the requested information by turning in paperwork to the SFS Office at PLNU.
If selected for verification:
- You may be required to verify information such as, but not limited to income and taxes paid, number in household and number in college, child support paid, SNAP, high school graduation, and identity.
- The PLNU Student Financial Services Office will notify you if you have been selected for verification, once you have filed your FAFSA.
- If you are a returning PLNU student, you are required to submit all requested forms and tax information (see below for recommendations) before you are awarded financial aid. If you are a new PLNU student, you are required to submit all requested forms and tax information (see below for recommendations) before aid can be disbursed to your account.
- The PLNU SFS Office sends email notifications that will let you know what forms and information is needed in order for you to complete verification.
- If verification is not completed by the first day of school or by a specified deadline, any Federal aid, State aid, and Institutional need-based aid, may be removed from your awards.
Request for Tax Information
In order to submit the required tax information, you must have already filed your taxes. IRS tax information is usually available to retrieve via either option listed below 2 weeks after filing electronically or 8 weeks after mailing unless you owe taxes. If you owe taxes, your 2013 tax information may not be available until after May 14, 2014. Those who have not completed their taxes and have been selected for verification may experience a delay in processing financial aid.
For those who are selected for verification, SFS recommends that you use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, while completing your taxes. This allows you to link your FAFSA to the IRS so that you can avoid manually entering in all tax information and streamline the verification process. If you have already submitted your FAFSA (and you have filed your taxes), you should be able to login to www.FAFSA.gov and link your FAFSA to the IRS. If the IRS Data Retrieval Tool is not available to you, then you will need to order a Tax Return Transcript from the IRS. (See OTHER OPTION)
If the IRS Data Retrieval Tool is not available to you, then you have another option to order a Tax Return Transcript from the IRS. (Please note: Submitting a transcript may result in delayed financial processing.) When requesting a Tax Return Transcript from the IRS, SFS recommends selecting the option that allows for you to print the Tax Return Transcript immediately. Either way, you will need to send the information to PLNU.
If you are looking for forms to complete your verification, please visit our forms page here.