Deciding who to Hire
How to Hire a Student
There are many parts of the hiring process that are peculiar to the PLNU campus. Therefore, it is important for on-campus employers to know the proper procedure for hiring students. (Also see the "Hiring Essentials" one page quick reference sheet.)
Deciding Who to Hire:
- Students will be using the new software to apply online for available on-campus jobs and will need to fill out a separate application for each job that interests them.
- As the hiring supervisor, you will review applications you receive online for each position you post. The new system will allow you to view applicants, decide who you would like to interview--either by phone or in person. Please make the process as professional as possible: insist upon a complete application, appropriate dress, and perhaps even a résumé and interview. This will teach students job search skills that will be invaluable to them when they graduate.
- Finally, once you have hired a student employee, make sure that the student is completely aware of his or her duties and responsibilities, and has been amply trained to carry them out. (See the sample Training Checklist in the "Training" section of the Online Supervisor Handbook).
The Paperwork :
Once a student has been hired, there are various items of paperwork that MUST be completed BEFORE a student may begin to train or work. Here are the steps to follow:
- Complete the supervisor’s section of the Student Employment Authorization Form (notify our office if you need a stack of these) and make sure the student fills in his or her part.
- Send the student to the Student Employment Office with the completed Authorization Form. If the student has never worked on campus before, he or she must also bring acceptable documents along with the form to this office (Rm. 140, Bond Academic Center).
- After the student has visited the Student Employment Office and filled out the appropriate paperwork, the Student Employment Coordinator will stamp “COMPLETED” on the pink copy of the Authorization Form and send it back to the supervisor. Please DO NOT allow any student to work or train before you have the stamped pink copy of this form in your hand! The completed pink form verifies that all the necessary paperwork has been filled out, ensuring that the student can legally work on campus.
- Online time cards will appear for each new employee approximately 3 days after the Authorization Form has been completed. Time Card Instructions are available online.