Step by Step Employment Paperwork Procedures

After you have accepted applications, interviewed applicants, and decided on a student or students you would like to hire, you must make sure that ALL paperwork is complete BEFORE they start to train work on campus.

Student Employment Authorization Form

The first form that should be completed is a Student Employment Authorization Form. Most supervisors keep several of these forms in a file in their offices. More are available in the Student Employment Office and we are happy to send them to you if you require a large quantity.

You must complete the Supervisor section of the form and ask the student(s) you wish to hire to complete the Student section. If the student has been employed on-campus before, they can deliver the form to the Student Employment Office.  If the student has not been employed on-campus previously, he/she should schedule an appointment with the Student Employment Office to bring this form and to be prepared to complete the following employment documents ~

I-9 Form

The second form that MUST be filled out as required by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security is called an I-9. This form is used to establish the student’s identity and eligibility to work in the United States and students will need to bring specific documents to meet this requirement. The ones used most often are a passport, or a driver’s license and a Social Security card. Please note: Once a student has completed this form the first time they are hired on campus, the I-9 is kept on file until they graduate. They do NOT have to complete this every time they get a job, just the first time.

W-4 Form

The third form that is required is an IRS form, called a W-4 . This will be sent with a copy of the Student Employment Authorization Form to the Payroll Office. It only needs to be done the first time a student is hired on campus, unless there is a change in personal information that would cause a need to change the number of allowances claimed (e.g. the student got married.)

Notice to Employee

The last form is required by the State of California for all non-exempt employees.  This is a form which provides employees information about their employer, their hourly/overtime wage rates, and that they are covered by PLNU’s Workmen’s Compensation Insurance.

When ALL of the required paperwork is done, the supervisor will receive the pink copy of the Student Employment Authorization Form with a “Completed” stamped on it. Supervisors should not let students work until they have received this pink copy!