International Student Info

We're glad you're here and are looking forward to getting to know you and help you find a job. You are a unique and special part of this community, your presence here makes a difference in all of our lives. We hope we will make a positive difference in your life. If you need any help at all, feel free to stop by the Student Employment Office or call (619) 849-2633.

Please read the following information carefully to ensure that you meet all legal requirements necessary to acquire an on-campus job.

The information on this page will focus on employment issues. For general information about the International Students Program, please visit International Students Services .

Click on a question below and then click "back to top" to return to the questions.


What do I need to know about working on campus?

As an international student there are certain laws that must be followed if you want to work in the U.S. Your student status enables you to be gainfully employed (in other words, to work for money) NO MORE THAN 20 hours per week during the school year and 40 hours per week during vacations, but only as an employee of PLNU. That means that if you decide to work, legally, you can only work on campus.

There are a variety of jobs on campus that might interest you. The job duties vary quite a bit between jobs. Check the on campus jobs by going through your portal or by clicking here. The pay rate for most on campus jobs is $8.00/hour. Dining Services pays $8.20/hour.

Back to top


How do I apply for a job on campus?

Students will now be able to apply online for any on-campus job that is currently posted.  Some supervisors will require resumes, while others will not.  Please be advised that you may not complete an application without attaching a resume if it is required.  We suggest that you have an electronic version of your resume available when you apply.

Back to top


What do I do when I’ve been hired?

When you are hired, there are some forms you must complete BEFORE you can start working or training. Come to the Student Employment Office and see Debbi Glaunert to complete the required paperwork. You will be required to complete the following forms:

  • An on-campus Student Employment Authorization Form . This form is available in the Student Employment Office. You will need to complete an Authorization Form for every job you hold on campus.
  • "W-4" - the income tax withholding form. Required by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Please note: Some countries have a tax treaty with the U.S. to waive income taxes. If there is such a treaty with your home country you will not be required to fill out a W-4, instead you will be required to fill out several other forms.
  • "I-9" - the employment eligibility form. Required by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. This is the form that requires that certain documents and pieces of information be shown to the Student employment Office personnel. You will need to show:
    • your passport
    • your I-20 for PLNU
    • your I-94 card (usually stapled inside your passport).
    • your U.S. Social Security number

This process can take a day or two to complete. It is important that you don't start working or training before you're authorized to do so by the Student Employment Office.

The W-4 and I-9 forms only need to be filled out once, the very first time you work on campus. After that if you get a new job on campus you will only need to fill out the Student Employment Authorization Form.

Back to top


How do I get a Social Security Number?

If you are planning to work on campus you will be required to have an American Social Security number. In order to apply for this number you need to have a job on campus. This sounds like a bit confusing but it works in the end. Here is the process to follow:

  • Find a job on campus. In addition to the jobs posted on our online job board, we have a sign-up list if you want to do temporary jobs on campus. This is called the Work Corps. If you would like to sign up for the Work Corps, come to the Student Employment office. You will need to do all of the necessary hiring paperwork before you can sign up. You will also need a local phone number.
  • Start all the necessary paperwork. In the Student Employment Office you will need to complete the Student Employment Authorization form, I-9 and W-4 as stated above. You will be given a letter signed by the Student Employment Coordinator verifying that you will be working on campus. This letter is called a Designated School Official (DSO) letter. You will need to take this letter to the Social Security office when you apply for your Social Security number.
  • Go to the Social Security office. You will need to take:
    • A Passport
    • I-94 Form
    • I-20 Form
    • DSO Letter Verifying On Campus Employment
    • Letter From Employer Verifying On Campus Employment

You will apply for the Social Security number. Then within the next few days you will need to call the Social Security office at 1-800-772-1213 and they will give you your Social Security number. You won't receive your Social Security number the same day you apply for it - this is why you need to plan to start working several days after you find a job.

When you have your Social Security number come back to the Student Employment office. We will complete your paperwork and you will be able to start working!

Back to top