Gladys Cooper's Steinway returns to the Cooper Parlor
The Cooper Music Center is named after Gladys Cooper who donated the proceeds from her ranch and prize winning bulls to PLNU in order to build a music building on our campus. For the past fifteen years the Cooper Music Center and Crill Performance hall has been the home to PLNU's music students.
Gladys also donated her King Louie 1918 Steinway B to our music department and it has resided in the Cooper Music Parlor along with the rug and furniture from Mrs Cooper's parlor. Two years ago the Steinway was sent away for some much needed restoration and returned today in mint condition with a new sound board and quite frankly, almost new everything. What is still the same is the ornate carved piano case which was refinished by Paul Robinson of Acme Piano Company who also restored most of the piano and arranged for a new sound board for the piano. The results have been gratifying.
Pianists have been in and out of the parlor all day to test the action and sound of this beautiful instrument. A link to some of the video of the arrival of the Steinway and some of the music made today will be on this page soon. In the meantime, the thrill of having such a remarkable piano back in its Cooper home, remains.