This program consists of once-a-week class throughout the spring semester where readings, videos, discussions, travel prep will be covered. The classes will travel soon after PLNU graduation and spend 4 weeks traveling throughout South Africa. Students in will travel together to South Africa and spend the first half in the northern part of the country, take an overnight train and spend the second half of the trip studying in Cape Town.
South Africa - a world in one country!
Travel to South Africa after studying the country’s cultures, history, politics, economics and Christianity for months before you even step foot on a plane.
You will spend four weeks in South Africa living in peoples’ homes and experiencing contemporary life in South Africa. This trip is the incredible opportunity to visit many of the historic sites you read about in class such as Robben Island, where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned. Other important sites include an AIDS clinic and small business development center, rural and urban schools, and a soccer stadium.
Course meets once a week in SP13
- Classes: Spring Semester (meets weekly)
- Next Trip: May8 - June 5 2013
Cost (subject to adjustments):
- Airfare: Prices fluctuate. See http://www.flysaa.com/
- Travel fee: $1,800 (includes in-country lodging, transportation, access to parks, museums, food for hosts).
- Food: $6-$8/day ($180-$240)
Credits: 6 units
- SOC360 Race and ethnicity: South Africa and the United States in Comparative Perspective (3 units)
- THE490 Special Topics in Religion: Christian Tradition from African Perspectives (3 units)
October 15, 2012.
Click here for the application.