Michelle Kelford, MS, RN
- Phone: 619-849-2361
- County College of Morris, Randolph, NJ - AAS
- Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA - BS
- Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA - MS
- BSN Sophomore Adult Health I & II
- BSN Sophomore Pharmacology
- BSN Skills Lab/Simulation
Clinical Background/Academic Focus:
Professor Kelford's teaching focus is to engage students in active problem solving and critical thinking within the context of the nursing field. Her background is medical, surgical, and oncology nursing with a primary focus on adult health. She has worked in hospital administration, clinic administration , and as a bedside nurse for over 10 years.
- Medical/Surgical Conference, Richmond, VA, 2007. Poster presentation on proactive pressure ucler prevention through hospital mattress upgrades.
- UHC Conference, Orlando, FL, 2007. Poster presentation on implementation of hospital-wide mattress upgrade and resulting budget savings in relation to a reduction in hospital acquired pressure ulcers.
The responsibility of an instructor is simple; to teach. Yet, teaching is more than just the presentation of facts, in as much as, learning is more than the memorization of facts. I believe teaching is the facilitation of learning; learning being the process in which a concept is grasped and then independently applied in varying situations. In order to facilitate this kind of learning, I focus on several goals: introducing and fostering critical thinking, developing problem-solving stategies, encouraging holistic caring, and facilitating the acquisition of life-long learning skills. In short, I am passionate about nursing and education! I love that "ah-ha" moment that a student has when they "get it" for the first time. I am thankful to the Lord for the opportunity to teach at PLNU and enjoy my interactions with students, faculty, and staff!