Thank you for your interest in the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) program at Point Loma Nazarene University.
As part of the selection process, freshmen apply to PLNU for one full year of prerequisite courses as Pre-Nursing majors and are screened both by PLNU Admissions and the School of Nursing. Research has shown that success in this demanding nursing major requires you to be highly motivated, score well on the SAT &/or ACT exam, have well-developed critical thinking skills, do well in math and science, and be service-oriented.
No online courses will be accepted as prerequisites required for admission to the nursing program.
- Inorganic and Organic Biological Chemistry -or- Organic Chemistry (4 or 5 semester units with labs)
- Human Anatomy and Physiology (8 semester units with labs)
- General Psychology of Personal Identity (3 or 4 semester units)
- FYE 100 - Core Values Convocation (1 unit)
- NSG 150 - Caring Faithfully: An Introduction to Nursing (2 units)
- College-level algebra (determined by PLNU math placement test)
- Human Development (3 semester units) -- strongly recommended, but not required for admission to the BSN program
- Nutrition (3 semester units) --strongly recommended, but not required for admission to the BSN program
- With the exception of FYE 100 and NSG 150, transfer students must have all required prerequisite courses AND Microbiology completed at the time of application to the BSN program.
Please review the community college articulation agreements if you are interested in satisfying prerequisites through a community college in the San Diego area.
If you are an Advanced Placement student please see the following documents:
Applications for the BSN program are available the first week in December and are due February 1. 70 students are accepted into the BSN program each fall. We do not admit nursing students in the spring semester.
PLEASE NOTE: Per agreement with the San Diego Nursing Service Education Consortium and affiliated hospitals, a background check and urine drug screening will be required. Please view our Background Check - Urine Drug Screen Policy.