Vice Provost - Academic Administration
Mark E. Pitts, Ph.D.
- Vice Provost
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 619-849-2548
- Phone: (fax) 619-849-2579
- B.A. Indiana State University - English and Speech Communications
- M.S. Indiana University - English Education and Educational Administration
- Ph.D. Indiana State University - Curriculum and Instruction
Mark Pitts comes to Point Loma with 25 years of experience in Christian higher education. Before joining Point Loma in July of 2010, he served as Deputy Vice Chancellor Academic at Africa Nazarene University in Nairobi Kenya, one of the 56 post-secondary institutions in the denomination worldwide.
Dr. Pitts grew up and received his education in the Midwest. He began his professional life as a secondary English teacher in Indiana. After seven years in that role, he became a secondary school administrator. In 1985 he completed his Ph.D. and began 17 years at Seattle Pacific University as faculty, department chair, and school dean. During that time he was an associate editor of the journal Religion and Public Education and maintained an active publication, presentation, and consultation agenda with publications or presentations at Moscow State University, the International Center for Human Values, Zheijiang University, Hangzhou State Business University, Hong Kong Baptist University, as well as in public and private school settings in Korea, India, Russia, and the U.S.
In 2002 he and his wife Nan moved to Idaho where he served for five years as Vice President for Academic Affairs at Northwest Nazarene University. Both there and at Africa Nazarene University, Dr. Pitts had oversight responsibilities in accreditation, registration, library services, graduation planning, and academic publications, as well as for traditional academic programs and faculty.
Dr. Pitts and his wife Nancy, an ordained Nazarene minister and licensed counselor, live in San Diego. They have five adult children and four grandchildren.
The Office of the Vice Provost for Academic Administration exists to provide quality systems support for the university, including the areas of records and registration, learning services, academic policy implementation (Academic Affairs website posting, university catalogs), academic advising and monitoring services related to students' progress toward the completion of degrees, logistical assistance for academic convocations, and on-going partnering with the Office of the Provost and Chief Academic Officer.
As Vice Provost for Academic Administration, Dr. Pitts serves the university in the following capacities:
- Supervisor of Records and Registration
- Chief Commencement Officer
- Editor of the annual academic Catalogs
- Supervisor of Ryan Library
- Director of Summer Sessions
- Academic Status and Probation Officer
- Liaison to the Academic Advising Office
- Liaison with New Student Orientation
- Supervisor of Academic Affairs Office websites
- Service on a wide variety of faculty and administration committees
Professional Honors or Memberships
- American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO)
- Association for Institutional Research (AIR)
- Pacific Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (PACRAO)
- Phi Kappa Phi Academic Honorary
- Sigma Tau Delta English Honorary
- Phi Delta Kappa Education Honorary
- Warshaw National Award for Writing, Council on Religion and Public Education