Elda Peralta, native of Tijuana, Mexico, is known for her versatility in singing and teaching classical and commercial music styles. She is an experienced worship leader and songwriter, having worked as the Director of Worship & Music at First Presbyterian Church of Evanston from 2014-2017, and has lead worship and composed songs for the churches she has attended throughout her life. Peralta has been featured with many ensembles ranging from jazz quartets and big bands to “rondallas,” and in recitals and concerts from baroque to Mexican folk music styles.
As a lyric mezzo-soprano, she has performed as a soloist with the Chicago Arts Orchestra, Orchestra of New Spain, La Jolla Symphony & Chorus, Orquesta de Baja California, Opera de Tijuana, and Aspen Opera Theater Center. Since 2010, she has had the honor of performing recently rediscovered Galant music from the time of the New Spain. Peralta has sung this repertoire across the US and in cathedrals where it was composed: in 2012, at the Cathedral of Durango’s Third Viceregal Music Festival, and in November of 2017 at the Metropolitan Cathedral in México City. She is a soloist in the Chicago Arts Orchestra’s Al Combate recording of these newfound works. As a professional chorister, she has performed with the San Diego Opera Chorus, Grant Park Music Festival, Lyric Opera Chorus, and was a member of the prestigious Chicago Symphony Chorus from 2011 to 2017.
She loves that she gets to live in beautiful and sunny San Diego with her husband, Joel, and one can often find her spontaneously composing songs for her children, Ezra and Katya.
- M.M., Vocal Performance & Literature, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
- B.A., Music Education, Point Loma Nazarene University, San Diego, CA
- Private Voice – MUA 1055, 2055, 3055, 4055
- Private Voice – Commercial - MUA 1055C, 2055C, 3055C, 4055C
Experience in Field
- Adjunct Voice Faculty, Point Loma Nazarene University, 2018 – present
- Private Studio, 2005 - present
- Private Instructor, Northwestern University Graduate Assistantship, 2008-2011
Professional and Community Involvement
- National Association of Teachers of Singing (NATS)
- Somatic Voicework™ Teachers Association
- American Guild of Musical Artists (AGMA)
Awards and Honors
- Finalist, Bel Canto Competition Chicago, 2013
- 1st Place, Evanston Opera Idol Competition, 2011
- 1st Place, Evanston Music Club, 2010
- 1st Place, Graduate Division, NATS Competition, Chicago Chapter, 2009
- Full Scholarship: Northwestern University, 2008-2010
- Encouragement Award, Metropolitan Opera National Council Auditions, San Diego, CA, 2006, 2007