Dr. Julia Dare came to the Fermanian School of Business at PLNU in 2021 with significant experience in both academia and strategic management. Most recently Dare served as a visiting professor of management at Abilene Christian University from 2020 to 2021, and as an assistant professor of management at the University of Pacific from 2012 to 2019. Her professional experience includes global strategic management at Baxter Healthcare from 1999 to 2004 and various strategy and marketing positions at Allergan, Charles Rivers Associates, Pfizer, and Merck from 1992 through 1999. Dare's scholarly work includes various publications and presentations in the area of corporate social responsibility.
- Ph.D., Management, University of Southern California
- M.B.A., Strategic Management and Multinational Management, University of Pennsylvania
- B.B.A., Organizational Behavior, Business Policy, and Marketing, Southern Methodist University
- Strategic Management - MGT 4088
- Strategic Management - BUS 6095
Experience in Field
- Abilene Christian University, Visiting Professor of Management Sciences, 2020 – Present
- University of the Pacific, Assistant Professor of Management, 2012 – 2019
- Azusa Pacific University, Business Professor, 2004 – 2006
Baxter Healthcare, Global Strategic Management, 1999 – 2004
Allergan, Marketing Manager & Director of Institutional Sales Consultants, 1998 – 1999
Charles River Associates, Strategy Consulting Practice, Senior Associate, 1996 – 1998
Pfizer, International Marketing Manager, MBA Internship, 1995
Merck, Sales Representative, 1992 – 1994
Professional and Community Involvement
- Reviewer, Journal of Religion and Business Ethics, 2020
- Leader, Small Chapel Group, Abilene Christian University, 2020
Reviewer, Research in Ethical Issues in Organizations, 2017
Session chair, University of South Australia, AAPAE Conference, 2016
Board Member, Public Relations Committee, and University Representative, The Salvation Army
Board Member, American Heart Association
Ambassador, Giving University
Awards and Honors
- Named recipient of the 2017-2018 Eberhardt Research Fellowship, 2018
- Rupley-Church International Relations Grant, 2015
- Eberhardt Research Fellowship, 2014
Dissertations, Presentations, and Publications
- Dare, J. (2018). Do Actions Speak Louder than Words? An Exploratory Study on CSR. Business and Society Review, 123(2): 303-339.
- Dare, J. (2016). Will the Truth Set Us Free?: An Exploration of CSR Motive and Commitment. Business and Society Review, 121(1): 85-122.
- "Visibility and publicity: Disentangling corporate acts of social responsibility." Presentation at the Australasian Business Ethics Conference, Auckland, New Zealand, 2018.
- "Sustainability for all? The (im)possibility of corporate reciprocity." Presentation at the University of Technology, Australian Association for Professional and Applied Ethics Conference, Sydney, Australia, 2017.
"When good press is not good: The paradox of CSR." Presentation at the University of South Australia, Australian Association for Professional and Applied Ethics Conference, Adelaide, Australia, 2016.
"Minding the Gap: The Emerging Role of Global Corporations." Presentation at the University of Sydney Australasian Business Ethics Conference, Sydney, Australia, 2015.
"Examining Corporate Responsibility Practices to Conceptualize a Path to Sustainability." Presentation at the Corporate Responsibility Research Conference, Marseille, France, 2015.