Lisa Balderston is a native San Diegan who earned her B.A. in English from San Diego State University and M.A. in Creative Writing and Literature from Fairleigh Dickinson University where she discovered an interest in dramatic writing. She enthusiastically joined the PLNU faculty in 2021, eager to teach a variety of writing and literature courses.
When Lisa isn’t teaching, she enjoys being a playwright. In 2019, she won the Local Flavor Playwriting competition, which involved a Stage Reading of her play, Transported. This play later became a live production at the PowPAC Community Theatre during their 2022 season. Also, Lisa has received award recognition by different theatre groups for her short plays, The Sum of Sisterhood and Celebration of Life. Her play, Life by Numbers (full-length) is being considered for production by a few local theatres in the 2024 season. Recently, she submitted two plays, Feeding Frenzy and Miguel at Midnight, to writing competitions. In March 2024, she will serve as an assistant director during the production of the comedy, The Butler Did It.
In her spare time, she volunteers as a script reader and Board Member for the non-profit organization, Playwrights Project. In addition, she is an active Mira Mesa Town Council Board Member. When Lisa isn’t working, writing or volunteering, she enjoys spending time with her loving husband, two sons, and Corgi named Brody.
- M.A., Creative Writing and Literature, Farleigh Dickinson University
- B.A., English, San Diego State University
- College Composition - WRI 1010
- College Composition: Research - WRI 1016
- Writing Around the University - WRI 1001
- Literature & Culture: Dramatic Literature (Plays/Musicals) - LIT 2000
Literature & Culture: Horror Literature - LIT 2000
Diverse Voices of World Literature - LIT 3050
Experience in Field
- Supplemental Instruction Leader/Instructional Assistant/Tutor, San Diego Miramar College
- Creative Writing Instructor (volunteer), Jewish Family Service of San Diego
Professional and Community Involvement
- Mira Mesa Town Council – Board Member
- Mira Mesa Town Council – Scholarship Committee Member
- Playwrights Project – Volunteer Script Reader for the Plays by Young Writers
- PowPAC Community Theatre – Judge/ Awards Manager