Are you ready to take the next step and apply?
We're here to make the entire process a simple one. We'll walk you through the application process, answer your questions, and get you one step closer to earning your degree.
Program Start Date(s):
Summer 2023 Quad II - July 3, 2023
Fall 2023 Quad I - August 28, 2023
Fall 2023 Quad II - October 23, 2023
Spring 2024 Quad I — January 8, 2024
Summer 2023 Quad II - June 14, 2023
Fall 2023 Quad I - August 9, 2023
Fall 2023 Quad II - October 4, 2023
Spring 2024 Quad I — December 13, 2023
The Selection Process
The educational context at PLNU will challenge you to live a full life that integrates the pursuit of knowledge with beliefs, values, and actions. While honoring diverse perspectives and beliefs, Christian values and principles are woven into the educational experience. We understand your application is not only a reflection of you as a student; it reflects you as a person. At PLNU, we holistically evaluate your academic history, work and life experience, background, and circumstances to determine admission into a graduate program. Your undergraduate GPA is an important piece of your application, but if you do not meet the minimum GPA requirement of a 3.0, you may still be eligible for admission based on your application package as well as the exceptions policy per your particular program.* Therefore, we strongly encourage you to contact your enrollment counselor, who will advise you regarding your qualifications and provide specific information about the admission under exceptions process.
To be admitted into PLNU's Master of Arts in School Counseling program, you must have a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution, as evidenced by an official transcript.
If you have any questions about your qualifications or the program in general, we encourage you to contact your enrollment counselor.
Note: The application is completed entirely online with the exception of transcripts, which can be submitted electronically or directly to PLNU, and test scores, which should be submitted electronically.
- Submit an online application for admissions (including $50 non-refundable application fee, which is waived for PLNU alums, current or former military and their dependents, and PLNU employees).
- Submit official transcripts with proof of earned baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution.* (If you are a PLNU alumnus, please notify your counselor to have your transcripts retrieved. You do not need to request transcripts from the PLNU Office of Records.)
Official transcripts must be sent to:
Point Loma Nazarene University
Office of Graduate Admissions
3900 Lomaland Dr.
San Diego, CA 92106
Official electronic transcripts must be emailed to:
*Please note, official transcripts must be sent directly from the regionally accredited institution.
- Submit a personal essay, 2-3 pages in length and double spaced, that addresses the following topics:
- Describe your professional career goals for the next five years.
- Describe the variety of experiences that helped you determine these goals.
- Explain what motivates you to work in California’s diverse schools.
- Explain why you are applying to PLNU, a private Christian university.
- Provide two professional recommendations. You will be asked to register your recommenders by providing their names, titles, and email addresses.
- Basic Skills Exam: CBEST OR Equivalent*
*Exceptions Policy: If you have below a 3.0 GPA in your baccalaureate degree, you will need to speak with your enrollment counselor for more information on the exceptions materials needed for your particular program.
Professional Licensure or Certification
This program is approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing and meets the requirements for educator certification in the state of California, where Point Loma Nazarene University is physically located. PLNU cannot confirm whether or not specific programs meet out-of-state requirements for Professional Licensure or Certification. Information about out-of-state requirements in teacher credentialing is available on this website.