Transferring Credit

Ways to Receive Credit

You may transfer the number of units needed to reach the minimum required 120 units for your degree from the following sources (with no more than 24 units of exam/JST credits):

  • Community Colleges
  • Joint Services Transcript (must petition for credit)
  • AP (Advanced Placement)
  • College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
  • IB (International Baccalaureate)

PLNU reviews courses for transfer that were completed at regionally accredited institutions in the U.S. to count toward a bachelor's degree at PLNU. Each transfer course is evaluated individually; the course description will be compared to the content and school/department/university requirements at PLNU to determine equivalency. For additional information, review PLNU's catalog policy on transfer credit.

Exams for Credit

A combined maximum of 84 units may be transferred to PLNU from the following sources (with no more than 24 units of exam/JST credits):

  1. AP (Advanced Placement) (Students who need to request their AP scores may contact the AP Board at (888) 225-5427.)
  2. College Level Examination Program (CLEP) (Review our policies for the SAT/ACT, College Level Examination Program (CLEP), International Baccalaureate (IB), and college courses taken in high school)
  3. IB (International Baccalaureate)

Joint Services Transcripts

To have your Joint Services Transcript (JST) evaluated:

  1. Contact PLNU's Admissions Office for an Unofficial Transcript Evaluation Request. You must include a copy of your JST for evaluation. Please allow two weeks' processing time.  
  2. The evaluation is a possible list of the courses that will transfer. The courses will be officially reviewed once you are admitted and confirmed.
  3. Admissions will contact you to notify you of your evaluation.
  4. Once admitted, you will need to have an official JST sent to the PLNU Office of Records. An official evaluation will be done and approved courses will be entered onto your transcript for transfer credit. A maximum of 24 units may be transferred to PLNU from JST, AP, IB, CLEP, and online coursework combined.

Transfer Agreements

Transfer Agreements

PLNU has created transfer agreements with San Diego community colleges to help students choose transferable General Education (GE) courses. The courses listed in our transfer agreement database are pre-approved. Please contact your admissions counselor to assist with your future selections.

Prospective students may apply to PLNU with a minimum number of 40 units. Our transfer agreements list all the GE courses required at PLNU, but you do not need to complete these courses to apply.

Explore the Transfer Agreement Database

Transferring Credits as a Current PLNU Student

The following instructions have been created specifically for students who are currently attending PLNU. If you are a prospective transfer student, please contact your admissions counselor for information on transferring to PLNU.

If you are planning to take transfer courses while also enrolled in courses at PLNU, you must file a course transfer petition with the Office of Records before signing up for any classes not on the transfer guides.

This online form is not for traditional undergraduate students.

After completing a transfer course, request official transcripts (in a sealed envelope) from the other institution and designate that they be mailed directly to the Office of Records at PLNU (not admissions). Once the transcript is received in our office, your academic records specialist will evaluate it and enter it onto your PLNU transcript within four weeks of receipt.

PLNU Records Office
3900 Lomaland Dr.
San Diego, CA 92106

As soon as a transfer course has been added to your PLNU transcript, you will be able to view it on your portal by clicking on the "Unofficial Transcript" link. If you would like to make sure the course transferred for the appropriate requirement, please check your advising guide to see if the transfer course appears, meeting the expected requirement.