Note: The application is completed entirely online with the exception of transcripts, which can be submitted electronically or directly to PLNU, and test scores, which should be submitted electronically.
- Submit an online application for admissions (including $50 non-refundable application fee, which is waived for PLNU alums, current or former military and their dependents, and PLNU employees).
- Submit official transcripts with proof of earned baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution.* (If you are a PLNU alumnus, please notify your counselor to have your transcripts retrieved. You do not need to request transcripts from the PLNU Office of Records.)
Official transcripts must be sent to:
Point Loma Nazarene University
Office of Graduate Admissions
3900 Lomaland Dr.
San Diego, CA 92106
Official electronic transcripts must be emailed to:
*Please note, official transcripts must be sent directly from the regionally accredited institution.
- Submit a personal essay, one-page in length and double spaced, that describes your current experience and why you are interested in adapted physical education.
- Provide two professional recommendations. You will be asked to register your recommenders by providing their names, titles, and email addresses.
- Provide proof of valid current California Teaching Credential.
- Complete Verification of General Education Physical Education Hours Form
- Must provide proof that as the teacher of record a minimum of 30 hours of physical education instruction was taught in a general education setting.
- If proof can not be verified, additional coursework may be required to meet this prerequisite.
- Education specialists are required to complete twelve-semester units of physical education coursework with a minimum of three-semester units in both kinesiology and motor development.
State authorization is a formal determination that PLNU is approved to conduct educational activities regulated by that state or U.S. Territory. PLNU is not required to obtain state authorization in every state or U.S. Territory, and the university has opted at this time not to seek authorization in certain states and U.S. Territories. Additionally, PLNU meets the criteria for exemption from authorization in certain states.
At this time, PLNU does not have authorization in Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Georgia, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, New York, Rhode Island, Wisconsin, and the U.S. Territories.
Authorizations in specific states may change periodically. PLNU recommends contacting PLNU admissions at (800) 733-7770 for the latest information.
*Exceptions Policy: If you have below a 3.0 GPA in your baccalaureate degree, you will need to speak with your enrollment counselor for more information on the exceptions materials needed for your particular program.
Professional Licensure or Certification
This program is approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing and meets the requirements for educator certification in the state of California, where Point Loma Nazarene University is physically located. PLNU cannot confirm whether or not specific programs meet out-of-state requirements for Professional Licensure or Certification. Information about out-of-state requirements in teacher credentialing is available on this website.
For more information on State Authorization and Program Licensure, please refer to our disclosures page.