Note: The application is completed entirely online with the exception of transcripts, which can be submitted electronically or directly to PLNU, and test scores, which should be submitted electronically.
- Submit an online application for admissions (including $50 non-refundable application fee, which is waived for PLNU alums, current or former military and their dependents, and PLNU employees).
- Submit official transcripts with proof of earned baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution.* (If you are a PLNU alumnus, please notify your counselor to have your transcripts retrieved. You do not need to request transcripts from the PLNU Office of Records.)
Official transcripts must be sent to:
Point Loma Nazarene University
Office of Graduate Admissions
3900 Lomaland Dr.
San Diego, CA 92106
Official electronic transcripts must be emailed to:
*Please note, official transcripts must be sent directly from the regionally accredited institution.
- Submit a personal essay, 2-3 pages in length and double spaced, that addresses the following topics:
- Describe your professional career goals for the next five years.
- Describe the variety of experiences that helped you determine these goals.
- Explain what motivates you to work in California’s diverse schools.
- Explain why you are applying to PLNU, a private Christian university.
- Provide two professional recommendations. You will be asked to register your recommenders by providing their names, titles, and email addresses.
- For credential seekers only: Submit basic skills exam (CBEST or equivalent) scores. This can be demonstrated by taking the CBEST exam
- OR Multiple Subject CSET plus writing skills examination
- OR CSU Early Assessment Program or the CSU Placement Examination
- OR providing proof of a valid California teaching credential
State authorization is a formal determination that PLNU is approved to conduct educational activities regulated by that state or U.S. Territory. PLNU is not required to obtain state authorization in every state or U.S. Territory, and the university has opted at this time not to seek authorization in certain states and U.S. Territories. Additionally, PLNU meets the criteria for exemption from authorization in certain states.
At this time, PLNU does not have authorization in Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Georgia, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, New York, Rhode Island, Wisconsin, and the U.S. Territories.
Authorizations in specific states may change periodically. PLNU recommends contacting PLNU admissions at (800) 733-7770 for the latest information.
Professional Licensure or Certification
This program is approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing and meets the requirements for educator certification in the state of California, where Point Loma Nazarene University is physically located. PLNU cannot confirm whether or not specific programs meet out-of-state requirements for Professional Licensure or Certification. Information about out-of-state requirements in teacher credentialing is available on this website.
For more information on State Authorization and Program Licensure, please refer to our disclosures page.
*Exceptions Policy: If you have below a 3.0 GPA in your baccalaureate degree, you will need to speak with your enrollment counselor for more information on the exceptions materials needed for your particular program.