Dr. Bryan Bolzenthal, lyric baritone, is originally from the Dallas/Fort Worth area of Texas. He has developed a national career on both the opera and recital stages. On the opera stage, he performed most recently as Eisenstein in Die Fledermaus with Pacific Lyric Association Opera, and as a chorus member with San Diego Opera. Prior engagements have included Opera Festival di Roma in Italy, Pensacola Opera, Baton Rouge Opera, and guest artist invitations with the Temecula Valley Symphony in Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony, as well as Pacific Coast Chorale, Baton Rouge Symphony, and Symphony of the Mountains. Notable opera roles include Marcello in La Boheme, Guglielmo in Cosi Fan Tutte, Almaviva in Le Nozze di Figaro, Papageno in Die Zauberflöte, Vicar Gedge in Albert Herring, Ford in Falstaff, and Owen Hart in Dead Man Walking. Dr. Bolzenthal is also an ardent fan of the art song, and intensely studied the Lieder of Schubert, Schumann, and Brahms during his DMA studies, as well as art songs from France, Italy, Great Britain, and the United States. He has held graduate assistant positions at both LSU and UT-Austin, and was a regional finalist twice in the Metropolitan Opera National Council Auditions.
In addition to enjoying his first year teaching classical, music theater, and contemporary vocal styles at Point Loma Nazarene, Dr. Bolzenthal has been a member of the voice faculty at San Diego State University since 2014. He completed the Doctor of Musical Arts degree at the University of Texas at Austin, and Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees at Louisiana State University. He has held previous faculty appointments at East Tennessee State University, Milligan College, and Emory & Henry College.
- D.M.A., University of Texas at Austin
- Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees at Louisiana State University
- Classical voice
- Musical theater voice
- Contemporary vocal styles
Experience in Field
- Voice faculty, San Diego State University
- Faculty, East Tennessee State University
- Faculty, Milligan College
- Faculty, Emory & Henry College
- Professional engagements with Pacific Lyric Opera, San Diego Opera, Opera Festival di Roma in Italy, Pensacola Opera, Baton Rouge Opera
- Guest artist with the Temecula Valley Symphony, Pacific Coast Chorale, Baton Rouge Symphony, and Symphony of the Mountains