Dr. Daniel Bothe joined the Fermanian School of Business (FSB) as a full-time associate professor of finance in 2009. He came to PLNU with approximately 20 years of management consulting, accounting, and senior-level financial management experience. Specifically, he has served as the chief financial officer of several companies, has worked as a management consultant for Ernst & Young and Paloma Advisors, and has been an auditor at KPMG. During his time as a full-time professor, Dr. Bothe taught various finance and accounting courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels. He became dean in August 2014 and now focuses most of his time on the growth and continuous improvement of the FSB, while still teaching one or two courses a year. Dr. Bothe is a Certified Public Accountant (inactive) in the state of California.
- D.B.A., Finance, Anderson University
- M.B.A., University of Southern California
- B.S., Accounting, San Diego State University
- Business Finance – FIN 3035
- Intermediate Finance – FIN 3085
- Financial Statement Analysis and Valuation – FIN 4025
- Financial Management – BUS 6070
Experience in Field
- Point Loma Nazarene University, Dean of the Fermanian School of Business, 2014 – present
- Point Loma Nazarene University, Associate Professor of Finance, 2009 – present
- Point Loma Nazarene University, Adjunct Faculty, 2005 – 2007
- Paloma Advisors, Principal, 2004 – 2008, 2009
- Silver Portal Capital, Director and Chief Financial Officer, 2008 – 2009
- SVP Investments/Dolgen Ventures, Executive Vice President, Chief Financial Officer and Chief Investment Officer, 2002 – 2004
- Arden Realty, Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, 1996 – 2001
- Ernst & Young, Manager, Advisory Services, 1993 – 1996
- KPMG, Senior Auditor, 1988 – 1991
Professional and Community Involvement
- Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) Certified Evaluator
- CBFA Annual Conference Co-Chair, 2017
- ACBSP Region 7 Conference Co-Chair, 2016
- USC Marshall Alumni Association San Diego Chapter, Board of Directors, 2004 – 2005
- Los Angeles County Economic Development Corporation, Board of Directors, 2001
Awards and Honors
- San Diego's Top Influentials - Education, 2015
Dissertations, Presentations, and Publications
- Bothe, D. (2022, November). The Role of the Dean in Faculty Development: One Size Does Not Fit All. Panelist at the ACBSP Deans Symposium, Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Bothe, D. & Marshall, F. (2022, October). Innovative Degree Pathways through Collaborative Alliances. Presentation at the ACBSP Region 7 Conference, Boise, Idaho.
- Bothe, D. & McIlwaine, J. (2020, October). Incorporating External Stakeholder Feedback for Continuous Improvement. Presentation at the ACBSP Region 7 Conference, Virtual.
- Bothe, D., Hogelucht, K., Marshall, L. & McIlwaine, J. (2020, June). Achieving Reaffirmation of Accreditation: Identified as a Best Practice Self-Study, Point Loma Nazarene will Explain their Systematic Processes. Presentation at the ACBSP 2020 National Conference, Virtual.
- Bothe, D., Hogelucht, K., Marshall, L. & McIlwaine, J. (2020, April). Course Learning Outcome Revision and Mapping. ACBSP Webinar Presentation, Virtual.
- Bothe, D., Hogelucht, K., Marshall, L. & McIlwaine, J. (2019, October). Course Learning Outcome Revision and Mapping. Presentation at the ACBSP Region 7 Conference, Riverside, California.
- Bothe, D., Cassoni, R. & Taccone, A. (2018, November). Innovative Baccalaureate Degree Pathways for Community College Graduates. Presentation at the CCLC 2018 Annual Convention, Rancho Mirage, California.
- Bothe, D. & McIlwaine, J. (2017, October). Embedding Brand Identity into an MBA Program. Presentation and Conference Proceedings at the CBFA 2017 Annual Conference, San Diego, California.