Dr. Mary Adams came to PLNU with six years of teaching experience in the Chicagoland area. Prior to teaching, she was a staff nurse in both a large teaching hospital and smaller community hospital. Her background is in trauma ICU, labor and delivery, and home care. She currently teaches in the graduate and undergraduate nursing programs as well as the simulation lab.
- Ph.D., Loyola University, Chicago
- MSN, Lewis University
- BSN, Loyola University, Chicago
- GNSG 7080 Context of Practice, Populations and Outcomes Management
- GNSG 6026/6026L Family CNS
- NSG 3030 Nursing of Families, The Childbearing Process
- NSG 3099 Nursing Research
- NSG 3055 Mindful Self Compassion
Experience in Field
- Point Loma Nazarene University, 2016 – present
- Lewis University, Romeoville, IL, 2009 – 2016
- Edward Hospital, Naperville, IL, 2001 – 2009
- Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, IL, 1992 – 2001
Professional and Community Involvement
- Member of AWHONN (Association of Women's Health, Obstetric, and Neonatal Nurses)
- Member of Sigma Theta Tau International, Honor Society of Nursing, Zeta Mu Chapter
- Volunteer with Champions of Heath to administer COVID vaccines (February 2021-present)
- Participant in the Out of the Darkness Walk for Suicide Prevention (October 27, 2019)
- Chaperone for the World Irish Dance Feis, Greensboro, NC (April, 2019)
- USO Community Dinner Server (March 12, 2019)
- First Aid Committee Chair for Rose Ritchie Annual Feis (February 2019)
- California Simulation Alliance work group member June, 2017- 2018
Dissertations, Presentations, and Publications
- Adams, M., Byrn, M., Penckofer, S., Bryant, F., & Almonte, A. (2021). Expectations of motherhood and quality of life. The American Journal of Maternal Child Nursing, 46(1), 70-75. Doi 10.1097/NMC.0000000000000690
- Adams, M., Lambert, K., Montejano, A., & Sloan, C. Building community and confidence with compassion: a new approach to annual nursing skills check-offs. Poster presentation at the NurseTim Nuts and Bolts Conference, Minneapolis, Minnesota, August 6-7 2021.
- Adams, M. Defining a ‘Good’ Mother. Poster presentation at the AWHONN California state annual conference, San Francisco, California, February 7-9, 2019.
- Adams, M. (2016). Expectations and Quality of Life During the Antepartum and Postpartum Period (Publication No. 2116) [Doctoral dissertation, Loyola University Chicago]. Digital Commons Network, Nursing Commons.
- Adams, M., & Penckofer, S. Expectations and quality of life during the antepartum and postpartum period. Poster presentation at the 2016 WIN Conference: Innovations in Engagement through Research, Practice, and Education, Anaheim, California, April 6-9, 2016.
- Adams, M., & Gedzyk-Neiman, S. Do staff nurse perceptions of nursing students change after implementataion of a written feedback form? A Pilot Study. Lewis University Celebration of Scholarship, April 14, 2016.
- Adams, M., & Penckofer, S. What are the expectations, attitudes, and images of new mothers? Poster presentation at the 14th Annual UCLA Research and Evidence Based Practice Conference, Los Angeles, California, April 21-22, 2015, and Annual Palmer Symposium, Loyola University Chicago, Maywood, IL., April 11, 2015.
- Adams, M. (2015). Motherhood: a discrepancy theory. Research and Theory for Nursing Practice, 29(2), 143-157. Doi: 10.1891/1541-65184.108.40.206