Dr. Stephen Christie joined the Fermanian School of Business at PLNU as a part-time professor of finance in 2021. He came to PLNU with over 40 years of both finance and academic experience. Christie served as a senior level finance executive at various organizations, including: Smith+Noble and Opal Concepts. During the period 1997 through 2006 he taught accounting and finance courses at both Vanguard University and California Baptist University as an adjunct professor. From 2006 to 2021, Christie was a professor of accounting and finance at California Baptist University. During his tenure at California Baptist University he also served as the associate dean of the school of business from 2006 to 2010. Christie is a Certified Management Accountant (CMA).
- Ph.D., Higher Education, Claremont Graduate University
- M.B.A., Concentration in Finance, California State University, Fullerton
- B.A., Business Administration, Concentration in Accounting, California State University, Fullerton
- Business Finance - FIN 3035
- Accounting for Decision Making - BUS 6015
Experience in Field
- California Baptist University, Associate Professor, Accounting and Finance, 2006 - 2021
- California Baptist University, Associate Dean, School of Business, 2006 - 2010
- California Baptist University, Adjunct Professor, Accounting and Finance, 1998 - 2006
- Vanguard University, Adjunct Professor, Accounting and Finance, 1997 - 1998
- Smith + Noble, LLC, COO and CFO, 1997 - 2006
- Oral Concepts, Inc, Vice President of Finance and Treasurer, 1994 - 1997
- Mandarin Gems of California, Inc, CFO, 1993 - 1994
- Del Mar Window Coverings, Vice President of Finance, 1991 - 1993
Professional and Community Involvement
- Editorial Advisory Board, Strategic Finance Magazine, 2007 - present
Board Treasurer, Centerpoint Church of Murrieta, 2005 - 2017
Judge for Future Business Leaders of America regional competition, 2011 - 2021
Alvord Unified School District Budget Advisory Committee, 2009 - 2011
Dissertations, Presentations, and Publications
Leading Transformation; Harvard Business Press, 2018. Reviewed in Strategic Finance, 101-10, April 2020: 12 – a publication of the Institute of Management Accountants.
Personal Success; HarperCollins Publishing, 2016. Reviewed in Strategic Finance, September 2018 – a publication of the Institute of Management Accountants.
Christie, S. (2015). The Influence of Student-Faculty Interaction on Academic Performance: A Comparative Study of Faith-Based and Secular Institutions. Doctoral dissertation.
Christie, S. (2014). Financial Planning & Personal Financial Management. Presented to California Baptist University married students, Riverside, CA.
Christie, S. (2012). Personal Financial Management Issues. Presented to the Investment Club, California Baptist University, Riverside, CA.