Dr. Arnel Aguinaldo ("Dr. A") has taught at Point Loma Nazarene University since 2013 as an adjunct and part-time instructor but was promoted to a full-time professor of Kinesiology in 2018. He also serves as the Director of the Kinesiology Biomechanics Lab in the Rohr Science building. Dr. A was also an adjunct professor at San Diego State University in the Department of Exercise and Nutritional Sciences where, since 2005, he has taught undergraduate and graduate-level courses in Biomechanics of Human Movement, Statistics in Kinesiology, Research Methods, Electromyography, and Functional Human Movement. In addition to his teaching duties, Dr. A maintains a busy research load having performed and extensively published studies in the areas of baseball biomechanics, footwear research, gait analysis, and sports medicine in reputable journals such as Sports Biomechanics, Journal of Biomechanics, Gait & Posture, American Journal of Sports Medicine, and Journal of Applied Biomechanics.
He holds a PhD in Health and Human Performance from Concordia University Chicago. In addition, he holds a BS in Bioengineering from University of California San Diego and a MA in Biomechanics and Athletic Training from San Diego State University, where he was also first certified as an athletic trainer (ATC) in 2000. Dr. A is a man of faith as a follower of Christ. He is an active member of Eastlake Church in Chula Vista, CA, where he and his family of 4 serve in various capacities to help the local community and those in need through Hand Over Hand, Feeding America, Doctors without Borders, and UNICEF. He speaks English, French, Tagalog, some Spanish, and Sarcasm (fluent)! In his spare time, he enjoys DJing, travel, sports, coffee, and quality time with family and friends in beautiful San Diego.
- Ph.D., Health and Human Performance, Concordia University Chicago
- M.A., Biomechanics and Athletic Training, San Diego State University
- B.S., Bioengineering, University of California, San Diego
- Research Methods – KIN 605/Research Methods and Project Seminar KIN 6005
- Research Methods and Statistical Techniques in Sports Medicine (ATR 6005)
- Biomechanical and Neurological Basis of Human Movement – KIN 615/KIN 6015
- Directed Readings – KIN 660/KIN 6060
- Research Project Seminar in Kinesiology – KIN 650/KIN 6050
- Capstone Project – KIN 698/KIN 6098
- Thesis – KIN 699/KIN 6099
- Measurement, Statistics and Evaluation of Human Performance – KIN 440
- Applied Biomechanics + Lab – KIN 327/KIN 3027 + KIN 3027L
Experience in Field
Research: pitching biomechanics, gait analysis, running mechanics, footwear biomechanics, knee injury pathomechanics
Vice President of Applications Engineering, Motion Analysis Corporation, 2015-2019
Director, Motion Analysis Laboratory, Rady Childrens Hospital San Diego, 2005 – 2015
Adjunct Professor, Department of Exercise and Nutritional Sciences, San Diego State University, 2005 – 2015
Professional and Community Involvement
- Member - American College of Sports Medicine (2018-present)
- Member - International Society of Biomechanics (2018-present)
- Member - International Society of Biomechanics in Sports (2001-present)
- Member - PLNU Intercollegiate Athletics Committee (2020-present)
- Honor Guard - PLNU Commencement (2017-present
- Volunteer - Community Through Hope food distribution (2020-present)
- Child Sponsor - Compassion International (2018-present)
- Volunteer - “I Love CV” clean-up projects (2018-present)
- Group Leader - Hand Over Hand (2016-present)
Awards and Honors
- U.S. Department of Defense Contract Award, Kinematics and Kinetics, during gait on a Computer Assisted Rehabilitation Environment, 2012
- Major League Baseball Grant Recipient, 2005 – 2008
- Best Paper Award, Gait and Clinical Movement Analysis Society, 2003
Dissertations, Presentations, and Publications
- Nicholson, KF, Hulburt, TC, Kimura, BM, & Aguinaldo, AL. (2021). Relationship between ground reaction force and throwing arm kinetics in high school and collegiate pitchers. Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness.
- Aguinaldo, AL, Nicholson, K (2021). Lower body contributions to pelvis energy flow and pitch velocity in collegiate baseball players, ISBS Proceedings Archive, 39(1), 36.
- Alderink, GJ, Kepple, T, Stanhope, SJ, & Aguinaldo, AL. (2021). Upper body contributions to pitched ball velocity in elite high school pitchers using an induced velocity analysis. Journal of Biomechanics, 120.
- Aguinaldo, AL, Nicholson, K, Alderink, G and Kepple, T. (2020). Multi-segment contributions to induced ball velocity in collegiate baseball players, ISBS Proceedings Archive, 38(1), 199.
- Sterner, JA, Reaves, SK, Aguinaldo, AL, Hazelwood, SJ, & Klisch, SM. (2020). Inverse dynamics analysis of youth pitching arm kinetics using body composition imaging. Sports Biomechanics, 1–15. doi:10.1080/14763141.2020.1715470
- Aguinaldo, AL, and Escamilla, RF. (2020). Induced power analysis of sequential body motion and elbow valgus load during baseball pitching. Sports Biomechanics, 1–13.
- Aguinaldo, AL, and Escamilla, RF. (2019). Segmental power analysis of sequential body motion and elbow valgus load during baseball pitching: Comparison between professional and high school baseball players. Orthopedic Journal of Sports Medicine, 7(2), 232596711982792.
- Podium Presenter, “Lower body contributions to pelvis energy flow and pitch velocity in collegiate baseball players,” International Society of Biomechanics in Sports Meeting, Canberra, Australia, September 5, 2021.
- Panelist, “Energy flow analysis of baseball pitching,” International Society of Biomechanics in Sports Virtual Symposium, February 5, 2021.
- Invited Lecturer, “Mechanical energy of baseball pitching: Implications for Shoulder and Elbow Injuries,” World Pitching Congress, January 16, 2021.
- Invited Lecturer, “Biomechanical Basis of Baseball-Related Injuries,” San Diego Padres, March 20, 2020.
- Podium Presenter, “Relationship of segmental energy flow and elbow valgus load during baseball pitching,” American Society of Biomechanics Meeting, Rochester, MN, August 10, 2018.
- Podium Presenter, “Induced power analysis of elbow valgus loading during baseball pitching,” International Society of Biomechanics Meeting, Calgary, Alberta, August 7, 2019.
- Invited Lecturer, “Elbow Biomechanics and Rehab of the Overhead Throwing Athlete,” American Physical Therapy Association Combined Sections Meeting, Washington, DC, January 24, 2019.
- Podium Presenter, “Segmental power analysis of elbow valgus load during baseball pitching,” World Congress of Biomechanics Meeting, Dublin, Ireland, July 10, 2018.
- Darke, JD, Dandekar, EM, Aguinaldo, AL, Hazelwood, SJ, Klisch, SM. 2018. Analysis of Game Pitch Count and Body Mass Index as Injury Risk Factors for Youth Baseball Pitchers. Orthopedic Journal of Sports Medicine, 6(4), 232596711876565.
- Zamporri, J., and Aguinaldo, AL. 2018. The effects of compression tights on dynamic knee motion during a drop vertical jump in female college athletes. Orthopedic Journal of Sports Medicine, 6(8), 2325967118789955.
- Invited Lecturer, “Biomechanical Implications of Injury Prevention and Performance in Baseball,” MAC3D Seminar, NAC Image Technology, Tokyo, Japan, October 6, 2017.
- Invited Lecturer, “Elbow Pitching Biomechanics and UCL Injury Risk Factors in Adult and Youth Pitchers,” American Physical Therapy Association Combined Sections Meeting, Indianapolis, Ind.
- Slenker, NR, Limpisvasti, O, Mohr, K, Aguinaldo, AL, ElAttrache, NS. (2014). Biomechanical Comparison of the Interval Throwing Progression and Baseball Pitching: Upper Extremity Stresses in Training and Rehabilitation. American Journal of Sports Medicine. 42(5), 1226-32.
- Luker, KR, Aguinaldo, AL, Kenney, D, Cahill-Rowley, K, Ladd, AL. (2014). Functional Task Kinematics of the Thumb Carpometacarpal Joint. Clinical Orthopedics and Related Research. 472(4), 1123-9.
- Aguinaldo, AL, and Chambers, HG. (2009). Correlation of Throwing Mechanics with Elbow Valgus Load in Adult Baseball Pitchers. American Journal of Sports Medicine. 37(10), 2043-2048.
- Aguinaldo, AL, Buttermore, J, and Chambers, HG. (2007). Effects of Upper Trunk Rotation on Shoulder Joint Torque Between Baseball Pitchers of Various Levels. Journal of Applied Biomechanics. 23, 42-51.
- Aguinaldo, AL, and Mahar, AT. (2003). Impact Loading in Running Shoes with Cushioning Column Systems. Journal of Applied Biomechanics. 19(4), 353-360.
- Aguinaldo, AL, Litavish, MJ, and Morales, AO. (2002). Comparison of Transient Force Attenuation Between Three Types of Heel Cushions Used in Athletic Footwear. Gait & Posture. 16(S1), 100-101.