Education is a cornerstone of society. The work of teachers, counselors, and educational leaders is vital to not only individual students, but also to the future of our communities. You can make a tremendous difference as an educator.
As part of PLNU's School of Education, you will be supported by a strong network, connected to issues and people in the field, and equipped with the confidence to succeed. You will be joining a group of students, faculty, and alumni who are well respected throughout the local education community for their deep commitment to their craft and calling.
Blended Bachelor’s and Teaching Credential | PLNU Undergrad
Learn why the blended program might be the perfect degree for you.
Dan and Damen Lopez
Because of Dan (B.A. 92, M.A. 96) and Damen (B.A. 94, M.A. 98) Lopez, more kids believe college is possible for them. First teachers, then administrators, and now leaders and consultants in education through their organization, TurnAround Schools, the Lopez brothers help struggling schools and students succeed.
Opportunity for Engagement
PLNU's credential and graduate programs address improvement priorities identified by the K – 12 learning communities in all our locations (Mission Valley, Point Loma, and Bakersfield).
Dr. Jill Hamilton-Bunch (90) graduated from PLNU with the desire to be a teacher, and that’s exactly what she’s done for the past 22 years — plus much more.
School of Education Programs
Undergraduate Programs: You can prepare to teach elementary, middle, or high school; work as a counselor or administrator; or succeed in a variety of careers with a solid liberal arts degree as a cross-disciplinary studies major. You can also take education coursework to supplement your major in another field like science, language, or math.
Graduate Programs: PLNU offers credentials, certificates, added authorizations, and master's degrees to advance your practice and career.
Adult Degree Completion
- Adapted Physical Education Added Authorization
- Autism Added Authorization
- Clear Education Specialist Credential
- Clear Multiple or Single Subject Credentials
- Diverse and Cross-Cultural Environments for Leaders Certificate
- Early Childhood Special Education Added Authorization
- Emotional Disturbance Added Authorization
- Instructional Design with Technology Certificate
- Instructional Leadership Certificate
- Leading Instructional Design for Professionals Certificate
- Orthopedic Impairment Added Authorization
- Other Health Impairments Added Authorization
- Preliminary Administrative Services Credential
- Preliminary Education Specialist Teaching Credential (Mild/Moderate)
- Preliminary Education Specialist Teaching Credential (Moderate/Severe)
- Preliminary Multiple Subject Credential
- Preliminary Single Subject Credential
- Professional Clear Administrative Services Credential
- Pupil Personnel Services Credential
- Reading and Literacy Added Authorization
- Traumatic Brain Injury Added Authorization
Disclosure: This program meets the requirements for candidates preparing for educator licensure in the state of California and is approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. Point Loma Nazarene University does not guarantee that the program requirements for licensure in the state of California meets licensure requirements in other states or satisfies employment criteria in another state. Additionally, successful completion of this program by itself does not fulfill all of the requirements to become a credentialed teacher in California.
Opportunities for Engagement
Developing into a world citizen doesn't only happen inside the walls of the classroom — it happens by coming face-to-face with new opportunities, people, places, and ideas. From real experience that counts toward your credential hours and reading workshops, to a free California Teachers Summit and a free four-day course to prepare you for the CBEST, the School of Education offers many opportunities for meaningful engagement.
Our faculty serve as both teachers and mentors, committed to guiding you toward a full and purposeful education. By helping you explore thought-provoking and influential ideas and engage complex and difficult questions, you'll have access to an environment devoted to the pursuit of truth. An education at PLNU is both transformative and meaningful.
If you would like to learn more about the School of Education or any of our majors and minors, please reach out to us!
(866) 692-GRAD (4723)