Dr. Dale Shellhamer taught at Pasadena PLNU for 40 years. Teaching assignments were primarily general, organic, and advanced organic chemistry. As professor emeritus, he continues his involvement in undergraduate research. He has more than 60 peer-reviewed research papers published with students as co-authors. Shellhamer has also written two book chapters and was a co-author on a U.S. patent.
- B.A., Chemistry, University of California, Irvine
- Ph.D., Organic Chemistry, University of California, Santa Barbara
- General Chemistry
- Nursing Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Advanced Organic Chemistry
- Instrumental Methods
Experience in Field
- Organic Halogen Research
- Organo Fluorine Research
- Raman Spectroscopy
Professional and Community Involvement
- Member, Scientific Advisory Committee for Alliance Pharmaceutical, 1997 – 2000
- Member, Executive Committee for the Fluorine Division of the American Chemical Society, 1989 – 1994
- Member, American Chemical Society, since 1968
Awards and Honors
- Outstanding Achievement Award, Sigma-Xi, 2013
Dissertations, Presentations, and Publications
62 publications in peer reviewed journals (The last 4 are listed below)
- "Comparing neat vs. solution reactions of chlorosulfonyl isocyanate with alkenes" Shellhamer, D. F.; Alexander, K.L.; Beavis, Z. J.; Bucardo, M. S.; Elwin, S. L.; Gomez, L.; Licata, C. J.; Van Horne, S. and Perry, M. C. Trends in Organic Chemistry, 2017, Vol. 18, 15-20.
- “Improved Synthetic Utility of a Sluggish Electrophile: Reaction of Chlorosulfonyl Isocyanate with Unreactive and Reactive Alkenes” Shellhamer, D. F.;Alexandar, K. L.;Bunting, S. A.; Elwin, S. L.; Licata, C. J.; Milligan, J. C.; Robinson, R. D.; Shipowick, D. E.; Smith, L. B. and Perry, M. C. Synthesis, 2015, 47, 1994-1950.
- “Kinetic Studies on the Reaction of Chlorosulfonyl Isocyanate with Monofluoroalkenes: Experimental Evidence for both Stepwise and Concerted Mechanisms and a pre-Equilibrium Complex on the Reaction Pathway” Shellhamer, D. F.; Bunting, S. A.; Hickle, K. R.; Horn, P. C.; Milligan, J. C.; Shipowick, D. E.; Smith, L. B.; Vandenbroek, D. J.; Perry, M. C and Boatz, J. A. J. Org. Chem. 2013, Vol. 78, 246-252.
- “Reaction of chlorosulfonyl isocyanate with fluorosubstituted alkenes: Evidence for a concerted pathway” Shellhamer, Dale F.; Davenport, Kevyn J.; Hassler, Danielle M.; Hickle, Kelli R.; Thorpe, Jacob J.; Vandenbroek, David J.; Heasley, Victor L.; Boatz, Jerry A.; Reingold, Arnold L. and Moore, Curtis E., Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2010, 75, 7913.