Pursuing Calling Together Since 1902
PLNU is a Christian liberal arts institution established in 1902 by Phineas Bresee, the primary founder of the Church of the Nazarene. Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC), PLNU is in the NCAA Division II with 11 athletics teams to cheer on.
PLNU exists to provide higher education in a vital Christian community where minds are engaged and challenged, character is modeled and formed, and service is an expression of faith. Being of Wesleyan heritage, we strive to be a learning community where grace is foundational, truth is pursued, and holiness is a way of life.
In addition to more than 60 undergraduate areas of study, PLNU offers graduate, doctoral, and non-traditional undergraduate degree completion programs on several campuses in San Diego County and Bakersfield. PLNU serves over 4,600 students.
• Fall 2019 enrollment: 3,232 (2,703 traditional, 529 non-traditional)
• 65% female; 35% male
• 14:1 student-to-faculty ratio
• 64% of incoming freshmen graduate within four years
• Average incoming GPA: 3.90
• Average SAT — Reading: 616, Math: 606
• Average ACT Composite: 26.4
• 88% of students receive financial assistance
• 88% of freshmen return for their sophomore year
• 54% of students live on campus
• 40% of traditional undergrad students are racially diverse
• 75% of incoming freshmen graduate within six years
• 2019-20 tuition: $36,350
• Fall 2019 enrollment: 1,364
• 73% female; 27% men
• 49% of graduate students are racially diverse
• 66% of students receive financial assistance
For more statistical information, please visit Institutional Research.
A Meaningful, Christian Community
Students come from all over the U.S. and the world to form a united shared community.Learn More About the PLNU Community
Critical, Thoughtful, and Engaged Academics
PLNU students have studied and worked in over 50 different countries and on every continent.More About Academic Quality
Intentional Career Development
Since 2005, 23 student films/TV programs have won 24 awards and appeared at 19 film festivals.Read More About Career Support
About San Diego
PLNU is located in the safe San Diego neighborhood of Point Loma. San Diego is the eighth largest city in America and the second largest in California. It is culturally rich and full of all sorts of intrigue.
Did you know there are more than 30 museums in San Diego? Many of those are located within Balboa Park, the nation’s largest “urban cultural” park. The city is also home to the world-famous San Diego Zoo, the Padres, some of the best beaches in the world, and an airport adjacent to a thriving downtown (which is a mere four miles from PLNU’s campus).
San Diego is an exciting, growing economic hub. It’s home to a highly educated population, full of many individuals pursuing entrepreneurial endeavors.
A few key industries:
- Arts and Culture
- Cyber Security
- Economic Development
- Emerging Technologies
- International Trade
- Life Sciences
- National Defense and Military
- Sports and Outdoor Lifestyle
Reasons to Love San Diego
- 10 Coolest Cities in America (Forbes)
- Top 10 College Cities & Towns in America (American Institute for Economic Research)
- One of the Best Places to Launch a Startup (Forbes)
- No. 1 City to Escape Winter (Livability.com)
- Top 10 of America’s Thriving Cities (The Daily Beast)
- One of the Happiest Cities in the U.S. (Gallup)
- Top 10 Best Weather Cities (Farmer’s Almanac)