Dr. Nicole Cosby has expertise in pathology to the lower extremity and manual therapy techniques that can be used to improve range of motion in restricted joints within the foot and ankle. She also serves as clinical education coordination for the Athletic Training Education Program.
- Ph.D., Sports Medicine, University of Virginia
- M.A., Kinesiology, San Jose State University
- B.A., Athletic Training, Point Loma Nazarene University
- Risk Management and Emergency Response – ATR 102
- Lower Extremity Injury and Evaluation – ATR 387
- Clinical Practicum II – ATR 390
- Therapeutic Modalities – ATR 415
- Clinical Preceptorship – ATR 493
- Introduction to Athletic Training – KIN 280
- Evidence Based Practice & Decision Making In Kinesiology – KIN 610
- Capstone – KIN 698
- Thesis – KIN 699
Experience in Field
- Using manual therapy techniques to improve range of motion at the ankle joint in acute ankle sprain patients
- Evidence-based medicine and patient self-reported function following manual therapy intervention
- Pathology to the lower extremity
Dissertations, Presentations, and Publications
- Croy T, Cosby NL, Hertel J. (2013). Active Ankle Motion May Result in Changes to the Talofibular Interval in Individuals with Chronic Ankle Instability and Ankle Sprain Copers: A Preliminary Study. Journal of Manual and Manipulative Therapy. 21(3):127-133.
- Sims J. Cosby NL, Hertel J, Saliba S. (2013). The Effect of Wii Fit® and Traditional Rehabilitation on Static and Dynamic Measures of Postural Control in Patients with Non-Acute Lower Extremity Injuries. Journal of Athletic Training. 48(3):314-325.
- Cosby NL, Hertel J. (2011). Relationships Between Measures of Dorsiflexion Range of Motion and Posterior Talar Glide in Healthy Individuals. Athletic Training and Sports Health Care. 3(2): 76-85.
- Cosby NL, Hertel J. (2011). Clinical Assessment of Ankle Injury Outcomes: Case Scenario Using the Foot and Ankle Ability Measures. Journal of Sport Rehabilitation. 20(1): 89-99.
- Cosby NL, Grindstaff TL, Parente W Hertel J. (2011). Effects of Anterior to Posterior Talocrural Joint Mobilizations in Individuals with Acute Lateral Ankle Sprains. Journal of Manual Manipulation Therapy. (8):76-83.
- Ott B, Cosby NL, Grindstaff TL, Hart JM. (2011). Hip and Knee Muscle Function Following Aerobic Exercise in Individuals with Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology. (21):631–637.
- Cosby NL, Chinn L. (2011). Assessment of Dorsiflexion Range of Motion Using Two Clinical Weight Bearing Measures. Athletic Training and Sports Health Care.
- Cosby NL, Grindstaff TL. Dorsiflexion Range of Motion Self-Mobilization. The Strength and Conditioning Journal.