Professor Arnel Aguinaldo (or Professor "A" as his students call him) has been an adjunct instructor at PLNU since spring 2013, and an assistant professor of kinesiology in the M.S. program since fall 2015. He has also served as an adjunct professor at San Diego State University in the Department of Exercise and Nutritional Sciences, where, since 2005, he has taught undergraduate and graduate level courses in Biomechanics of Human Movement, Statistics in Kinesiology, Research Methods, Electromyography, and Functional Human Movement.
Aguinaldo is a man of faith as a follower of Christ. He is an active member of Eastlake Church in Chula Vista, Calif., where he and his family of four serve in various capacities to help the local community and those in need through Feeding America, Doctors without Borders, and UNICEF. He speaks English, French, Tagalog, some Spanish, and sarcasm (which he's fluent in)! In his spare time, he enjoys music, travel, sports, coffee (lots of it), and quality time with family and friends in beautiful San Diego.
In addition to his teaching duties, Aguinaldo maintains a busy research load, having performed and extensively published studies in the areas of pitching biomechanics, footwear research, gait analysis, and sports medicine in reputable journals such as Gait & Posture, American Journal of Sports Medicine, and Journal of Applied Biomechanics.
- Ph.D., Health and Human Performance, Concordia University Chicago
- M.A., Biomechanics and Athletic Training, San Diego State University
- B.S., Bioengineering, University of California, San Diego
- Research Methods – KIN 605
- Biomechanical and Neurological Basis of Human Movement – KIN 615
- Directed Readings – KIN 660
- Research Project Seminar in Kinesiology – KIN 650
- Capstone Project – KIN 698
- Thesis – KIN 699
- Measurement, Statistics and Evaluation of Human Performance – KIN 440
- Applied Biomechanics – KIN 327
Experience in Field
- Research: pitching biomechanics, gait analysis, running mechanics, footwear biomechanics, jumping/ACL pathomechanics
- Director, Motion Analysis Laboratory, Childrens Hospital San Diego, 2005 – 2015
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Exercise and Nutritional Sciences, San Diego State University, 2005 – 2015
Professional and Community Involvement
- Reviewer, American Journal of Sports Medicine, 2010 – present
- Reviewer, Journal of Applied Biomechanics, 2010 – present
- Member, International Society of Biomechanics in Sports, 2001 – 2015
Awards and Honors
- U.S. Department of Defense Contract Award, Kinematics and Kinetics, during gait on a Computer Assisted Rehabilitation Environment, 2012
- Major League Baseball Grant Recipient, 2005 – 2008
- Best Paper Award, Gait and Clinical Movement Analysis Society, 2003
Dissertations, Presentations, and Publications
- Podium Presenter, “Relationship of segmental energy flow and elbow valgus load during baseball pitching,” American Society of Biomechanics Meeting, Rochester, MN, August 10, 2018.
- Podium Presenter, “Segmental power analysis of elbow valgus load during baseball pitching,” World Congress of Biomechanics Meeting, Dublin, Ireland, July 10, 2018.
- Darke, JD, Dandekar, EM, Aguinaldo, AL, Hazelwood, SJ, Klisch, SM. 2018. Analysis of Game Pitch Count and Body Mass Index as Injury Risk Factors for Youth Baseball Pitchers. Orthopedic Journal of Sports Medicine, 6(4), 232596711876565.
- Zamporri, J., and Aguinaldo, AL. 2018. The effects of compression tights on dynamic knee motion during a drop vertical jump in female college athletes. Orthopedic Journal of Sports Medicine, 6(8), 2325967118789955.
- Invited Lecturer, “Biomechanical Implications of Injury Prevention and Performance in Baseball,” MAC3D Seminar, NAC Image Technology, Tokyo, Japan, October 6, 2017.
- Podium Presenter, “The effects of compression tights on dynamic knee motion during a drop vertical jump in female college athletes,” International Society of Biomechanics in Sports Meeting, Cologne, Germany, June 18, 2017.
- (2015). Invited Lecturer, “Elbow Pitching Biomechanics and UCL Injury Risk Factors in Adult and Youth Pitchers,” American Physical Therapy Association Combined Sections Meeting, Indianapolis, Ind.
- Slenker, NR, Limpisvasti, O, Mohr, K, Aguinaldo, AL, ElAttrache, NS. (2014). Biomechanical Comparison of the Interval Throwing Progression and Baseball Pitching: Upper Extremity Stresses in Training and Rehabilitation. American Journal of Sports Medicine. 42(5), 1226-32.
- Luker, KR, Aguinaldo, AL, Kenney, D, Cahill-Rowley, K, Ladd, AL. (2014). Functional Task Kinematics of the Thumb Carpometacarpal Joint. Clinical Orthopedics and Related Research. 472(4), 1123-9.
- Aguinaldo, AL, and Chambers, HG. (2009). Correlation of Throwing Mechanics with Elbow Valgus Load in Adult Baseball Pitchers. American Journal of Sports Medicine. 37(10), 2043-2048.
- Aguinaldo, AL, Buttermore, J, and Chambers, HG. (2007). Effects of Upper Trunk Rotation on Shoulder Joint Torque Between Baseball Pitchers of Various Levels. Journal of Applied Biomechanics. 23, 42-51.
- Aguinaldo, AL, and Mahar, AT. (2003). Impact Loading in Running Shoes with Cushioning Column Systems. Journal of Applied Biomechanics. 19(4), 353-360.
- Aguinaldo, AL, Litavish, MJ, and Morales, AO. (2002). Comparison of Transient Force Attenuation Between Three Types of Heel Cushions Used in Athletic Footwear. Gait & Posture. 16(S1), 100-101.