Daniel Bothe joined the Fermanian School of Business (FSB) as a full-time associate professor of finance in 2009. He came to PLNU with approximately 20 years of management consulting, accounting, and senior-level financial management experience. Specifically, he has served as the chief financial officer of several companies, has worked as a management consultant for Ernst & Young and Paloma Advisors, and has been an auditor at KPMG. During his time as a full-time professor, Bothe taught various finance and accounting courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels. He became dean in August 2014 and now focuses most of his time on the growth and continuous improvement of the FSB, while still teaching one or two finance courses a year. Bothe is currently working on completing his dissertation in the doctoral program in business (finance) at Anderson University, and is a Certified Public Accountant (inactive) in the state of California.
- D.B.A., Finance, Anderson University, ABD (expected completion 2019)
- M.B.A., University of Southern California
- B.S., Accounting, San Diego State University
- Intermediate Finance – FIN 385
- Financial Statement Analysis and Valuation – FIN 425
- Financial Management – BUS 670
Experience in Field
- Point Loma Nazarene University, Dean of the Fermanian School of Business, 2014 – present
- Point Loma Nazarene University, Associate Professor of Finance, 2009 – present
- Point Loma Nazarene University, Adjunct Faculty, 2005 – 2007
- Paloma Advisors, Principal, 2004 – 2008, 2009
- Silver Portal Capital, Director and Chief Financial Officer, 2008 – 2009
- SVP Investments/Dolgen Ventures, Executive Vice President, Chief Financial Officer and Chief Investment Officer, 2002 – 2004
- Arden Realty, Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, 1996 – 2001
- Ernst & Young, Manager, Advisory Services, 1993 – 1996
- KPMG, Senior Auditor, 1988 – 1991
Professional and Community Involvement
- The Mission Church, Treasurer, 2016 – present
- Christian Business Faculty Association, Member
- California Society of CPAs, Member
- CBFA Annual Conference Co-Chair, 2017
- ACBSP Region 7 Conference Co-Chair, 2016
- PLNU's Annual CFA Institute Research Challenge, Faculty Advisor, 2011 – present
- PLNU Investment Oversight Committee, Member, 2011 – present
- PLNU Structural Governance Committee, Member, 2011 – 2012
- USC Marshall Alumni Association San Diego Chapter, Board of Directors, 2004 – 2005
- Los Angeles County Economic Development Corporation, Board of Directors, 2001
Awards and Honors
- San Diego's Top Influentials, 2015
Dissertations, Presentations, and Publications
- McIlwaine, J. & Bothe, D. (2017, October). Embedding Brand Identity into an MBA Program. Presentation at the 2017 CBFA Annual Conference, San Diego, California.
- Bothe, D. (2001, June). Real Estate Investment Trust Accounting Issues. Presentation at the Deloitte & Touche Quarterly Real Estate CFO Breakfast Series, Los Angeles, California.
- Bothe, D. (2001, March). Dot-Com's and Their Impact on the Office Market. Presentation at the Lambda Alpha International Honorary Land Economics Society Los Angeles Chapter, Los Angeles, California.
- Bothe, D. (2001, March). Arden Realty, Inc. Company Presentation. Presentation at the Solomon Smith Barney REIT Investor Conference.
- Bothe, D. (2001, March). Real Estate Investment Trusts and the Changing Real Estate Industry. Presentation to the Institute of Real Estate Management (IREM) Orange County Chapter, Irvine, California.
- Bothe, D. (2000, January). Underwriting Uncertainty in the Dot-Com World. Panelist at the Urban Land Institute/USC Lusk Center for Real Estate 2000 Real Estate Trends Conference, Los Angeles, California.
- Bothe, D. (1999). Real Estate Investment Trusts. Panelist at the Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW) Los Angeles Chapter Luncheon, Los Angeles, California.
- Bothe, D. (1999). Real Estate Investment Trusts and the Changing Real Estate Industry. Presentation at the Building Owners Management Association (BOMA) Los Angeles Chapter, Los Angeles, California.