- M.F.A., Creative Writing, San Diego State University
- A.B., Journalism, University of Southern California
- Special Topics in Journalism - JRN 3050
Experience in Field
- San Diego State University, Lecturer teaching courses including "Magazine and Feature Writing," "Media Writing and Reporting," "Editorial & Critical Writing," "Media Writing for Scientists" and "Introduction to Creative Writing."
- UCSD Extension, Instructor in courses including “Feature Writing for Newspapers & Magazines,” “How to Think and Write Like A Critic,” “The Writer’s Art of Interviewing,” “Writing for Publication,” “Journalistic Copy Editing,” “Editorial & Critical Writing.” “Creative Writing I,” “Forms of Fiction,” “Writing Short Fiction,” “Heroes, Antiheroes and Antagonists” and “Tales of Three Cities: Southern California’s Hardboiled Detectives.” Also helped develop and formulate UCSD Extension’s Feature Writing Certificate Program. Named 1999 UCSD Extension Instructor of the Year.
- San Diego Mesa College, Adjunct faculty in humanities department, teaching English 43, 49 (basic skills), English 101 (reading and composition), English 105 (literature and composition) and English 205 (critical thinking and intermediate composition) as well as journalism courses in reporting, copy editing and mass communication.
PRINT JOURNALISM EXPERIENCE
- Copley News Service, San Diego, CA. 1979-1981; editorial assistant
- San Diego Tribune, San Diego, CA. 1984-1992: copy editor, copy desk chief, travel writer, real estate writer, entertainment writer/reviewer, columnist
- San Diego Union-Tribune, San Diego, CA. 1992-present; editor Night&Day magazine; editor, Currents Weekend entertainment section; feature writer, columnist, writer of Arts & Culture Newsletter
- San Diego CityBeat, San Diego, CA. 2011-2019: theatre critic.
ONLINE JOURNALISM EXPERIENCE
- SignOnSanDiego.com, San Diego, CA. 2007-2009: editor for UTStreet.com, a division of signonsandiego.com (supervising contributing bloggers, reporters to the arts/lifestyle site from San Diego-area universities, including UCSD, San Diego State, Cal State San Marcos, Point Loma Nazarene, University of San Diego
- Froggerdogger.com, 2009-present: contributor of music and theatre reviews and commentary to this music-oriented pop-culture online magazine.
- SanDiego.com, 2010-2011: contributor of two columns a month on San Diego culture and society, plus feature stories and theatre reviews on a recurring basis.
- Podcast: “The Best Version with Dave and Dex,” 2017-present (biweekly program focusing on politics, entertainment, lifestyle)
Dissertations, Presentations, and Publications
- The Romancer, Lulu Publishing Services, January 2017.
- There and Back Again, Lulu Publishing Services, August 2017.
- In Violet, Lulu Publishing Services, October 2018.
SHORT STORY ANTHOLOGIES
- Raining in Paradise, Lulu Publishing Services, April 2018.
- Blue Tomorrow, Lulu Publishing Services, July 2019.