Dr. Son Chae Kim returned to Point Loma Nazarene University (PLNU) in August of 2019. Prior to that, she taught at Texas State University and was also at PLNU from 2005-2013. As an author and original developer of the Aggressive Behavior Risk Assessment Tool (ABRAT), she has conducted a number of research studies related to identifying potentially violent patients in both acute care hospitals and long-term care homes in the U.S. and in Canada. She is also an author of the Kim Alliance Scale (KAS) that measures the quality of the patient-provider relationship. Currently, she teaches classes in the DNP program. As a Christian educator, she is grateful for the opportunity to teach at PLNU. In her spare time, she loves to work in the garden.
- Ph.D., University of San Diego, CA
- M.S.N., University of San Diego, CA
- B.S.N., University of Washington, Seattle, WA
- Translating Evidence-Based Nursing into Practice - DNP
- Clinical Residency Courses - DNP
- Research Inquiry and Theory - MSN
- Fundamentals of Appraisal and Translational Research I,II,III - MSN
Advanced Pharmacology - MSN
Nursing Research - MSN
Thesis Seminar - MSN
Advanced Health Assesment & Health Promotion Across Lifespan - MSN
Research and Ethics - BSN
Pathophysiology and Pharmacology for Nurses - BSN
Foundations of Professional Nursing Practice - BSN
Adult Health III: Critical Care Nursing - BSN
Pathophysiology - BSN
Pharmacology - BSN
Nursing Research - BSN
Nursing Fundamentals - BSN
Evidence-Based Nursing Intervention - BSN
Adult Health I & II: Medical-Surgical Nursing - BSN
Dissertations, Presentations, and Publications
- Balani, R., Herrington, H., Bryant, E., Lucas, C., & Kim, S. C. (2019). Nutrition knowledge, attitudes, and self-regulation as predictors of overweight and obesity. Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, Feb 27. doi: 10.1097/JXX.0000000000000169.
- Kim, S. C., Berry, B., & Young, L., (2019). Aggressive Behaviour Risk Assessment Tool for Long-Term Care (ABRAT-L): Validation study. Geriatric Nursing, 40, 284-289. doi:10.1016/j.gerinurse.2018.11.006.
- Kim, S.C., Covington, B., Benavente, V., & Willson, P. (2019). Capstone projects as experiential evidence-based practice education. Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 15, e51-e56.
- Kim, S.C., Pedersen, C., & Yi, C. (2018). Validity and reliability of sleep promotion questionnaire and predictors of quality of care. SAGE Open Medicine, 6, 1-9. doi:10.1177/2050312118794595.
- Berry, B., Young, L., & Kim, S.C. (2017). Utility of Aggressive Behaviour Risk Assessment Tool in long-term care homes. Geriatric Nursing. 38. 417-422. doi: 10.10.1016/j.gerinurse.
- Kim, S.C., Young, L., & Berry, B. (2017). Aggressive Behaviour Risk Assessment Tool for newly-admitted residents of long-term care homes. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 73(7), 1747-1756. doi: 10.1111/jan.13247.
- Kim, S.C., Ecoff, L., Brown, C.E., Gallo, A., Stichler, J., & Davidson, J.E. (2017). Benefits of regional evidence-based practice fellowship program: A test of the ARCC model, Worldviews on Evidence-Based Nursing, 14(2): 90-98. doi: 10.1111.wvn.12199.
- Kim, S.C., Stichler, J., Ecoff, L., Gallo, A., & Davidson, J.E. (2017). Six-month follow-up of a regional evidence-based practice fellowship program. Journal of Nursing Administration, 47(4):238-243. doi: 10.1097/NNA. 0000000000000471.
- Dayal, K., Robinson, S., Schoening, J., Smith, M.C., & Kim, S.C. (2017). Predictors of human papillomavirus vaccine uptake and intent among parents of adolescent girls. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice, 7(6), 35 – 42. doi: 10.5430/jnep.v7n6p35.
- Kim, S.C., Stichler, J., Ecoff, L., Brown, C.E., Gallo, A., & Davidson, J.E. (2016). Predictors of evidence-based practice implementation, job satisfaction, and group cohesion among regional fellowship program participants, Worldviews on Evidence-Based Nursing, 13(5), 340-348, doi: 10.1111/wvn.12171.
- Meier, K., Minton, C., Meyer, B., & Kim, S.C. (2016). Water as the primary beverage: A predictor of pediatric obesity. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice, 6(10), 65-70. doi:10.5430/jnep.v6n10p65.
- Furseth, P. A., Taylor, B., & Kim, S. C. (2016). Impacts of interprofessional education among nursing and paramedic students. Nurse Educator, 41(2), 75-79. doi:10.1097/NNE.0000000000000219.
- Natad, A., Moser, K., Maiden, J., & Kim, S. C. (2016). Positive tuberculosis blood test as a predictor of health status among HIV-infected persons. Clinical Nursing Research, 25(1),100-112. DOI: 10.1177/1054773814547045.
- Bruce, H.R., Maiden, J., Fedullo, P. F., & Kim, S. C. (2015). Impact of nurse-initiated emergency department sepsis protocol on compliance with sepsis bundles, time to first antibiotic administration, and in-hospital mortality. Journal of Emergency Nursing, 41(2),130-137. doi: 10.1016/j.jen.2014.12.007.
- Chevillon, C., Hellyar, M., Madani, C., Kerr, K., & Kim, S.C. (2015). Preoperative education on postoperative delirium, anxiety, and knowledge in pulmonary thromboendarterectomy patients. American Journal of Critical Care, 24(2), 164-171. doi: 10.4037/ajcc2015658.
- Francisco, D., Rankin, L., & Kim, S.C. (2014). Adherence to colorectal cancer and polypsscreening recommendations among Filipino-Americans. Gastroenterology Nursing, 37(6),384-390. doi: 10.1097/SGA.0000000000000071.
- McComas, J., Riingen, M., & Kim, S. C. (2014). Impact of an electronic medication administration record on medication administration efficiency and errors. CIN: Computers, Informatics, Nursing, 32(12), 589-595. DOI: 10.1097/CIN.0000000000000116.
- Sekol, M.A., & Kim, S.C. (2014). Job satisfaction, burnout, and stress among pediatric nurses in various specialty units at an acute care hospital. Journal of Nursing Education & Practice, 4(12),115-124. DOI: 10.5430/jnep.v4n12p115.
- Kim, S.C., Oliveri, D., Riingen, M., Taylor, B., & Rankin, L. (2013). Randomized controlled trial of graduate-to-undergraduate student mentoring program, Journal of Professional Nursing, 29(6), e43-e49. doi: 10.1016/j.profnurs.2013.04.003.
- Hnizdo, S., Archuleta, R.A., Taylor, B., & Kim, S.C. (2013). Validity and reliability of the Modified John Hopkins Fall Risk Assessment Tool for elderly patients in home health care, Geriatric Nursing, 34(5), 423-427. doi: 10.1016/j.gerinurse.2013.05.011.
- Turney, J., Noble, D., & Kim, S.C. (2013). Orthopedic nurses' knowledge and inter-rater reliability of neurovascular assessments with two-point discrimination test. Orthopaedic Nursing, 32(3), 167-172. doi: 10.1097/NOR.0b013e3182920abb.
- Kim, S.C., Brown, C.E., Ecoff, L., Davidson, J. E., Gallo, A., Klimpel, K., & Wickline, M. A. (2013). Regional evidence-based practice fellowship program: Impact on evidence-based practice implementation and barriers, Clinical Nursing Research, 22(1), 51-69. doi:10.1177/1054773812446063.
- Kim, S.C., Burke, L., Sloan, C., & Barnett, S. (2013). Attitudes toward teen mothers among nursing students and psychometric evaluation of positivity toward teen mothers scale. Nurse Education Today, 33: 986-991. doi: 10.1016/j.nedt.2012.10.014.
- Mollon, D., Fields, W., Gallo, A., Wagener, R., Soucy, J., Gustafson, B., & Kim, S.C. (2012). Staff practice, attitude and knowledge/skills regarding evidence-based practice before and after an educational intervention. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, 43(9): 411-419. doi: 10.3928/00220124-20120716-89.
- Kim, S.C., Ideker, K., & Todicheeney-Mannes, D. (2012). Usefulness of Aggressive Behavior Risk Assessment Tool (ABRAT) for prospectively identifying violent patients in medical-surgical units. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 68(2), 349-357. doi: 10.1111/j.1365- 2648.2011.05744.x.
- Ideker, K., & Todicheeney-Mannes, D., & Kim, S.C. (2011). A confirmatory study of M55 violence risk assessment tool and demographic predictors of patient violence. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 67(11), 2455-2462. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2648.2011.05667.x.
- Kim, S.C., Yates, A. D., Graham, P., & Brown, C.E. (2011). Family-provider alliance program in intensive care units, Clinical Nursing Research, 20(3), 245-262. doi:10.1177/1054773811403471.
- Stichler, J., Fields, W., Kim, S.C., & Brown, C.E. (2011). Faculty knowledge, attitudes and perceived barriers to teaching evidence-based nursing, Journal of Professional Nursing, 27(2), 92-100. doi: 10.1016/j.profnurs.2010.09.012.
- Brown, C.E., Kim, S.C., Stichler, J., & Fields, W. (2010). Predictors of knowledge, attitudes, use and future use of evidence-based practice among baccalaureate nursing students at two universities, Nurse Education Today, 30(6): 521-527. doi: 10.1016/j.nedt.2009.10.021.
- Brown, C.E., Ecoff, L., Kim, S.C., Wickline, M., & Glaser, D. (2010). Multi-institutional study of barriers to research utilization and evidence-based practice among hospital nurses. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 19 (13-14), 1944-1951. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2702.2009.03184.x.
- Kim, S.C., Brown, C. E., Fields, Fields, W., & Stichler, J. (2009). Evidence-based focused interactive teaching strategy: a controlled study. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 65(6), 1218-1227.
- Kim, S.C., Plumb, R., Gredig, Q-N, Rankin, L., & Taylor, B. (2008). Medium-term post-Katrina health sequelae among New Orleans residents: Predictors of poor mental and physical health. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 17, 2335-2342. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2702.2008.02317.x.
- Kim, S.C., Kim, S., & Boren, D.M. (2008). Quality of therapeutic alliance predicts patient’s general satisfaction. Military Medicine, 173 (1): 85-90.
- Kim, S.C., Boren, D.M., & Solem, S.L. (2001). The Kim Alliance Scale: Development and preliminary testing. Clinical Nursing Research, 10 (3), 314-331.