PLNU On-Campus Jobs
The Student Employment Office, in coordination with the Office of Human Resources, serves the community of PLNU by guiding current undergraduate, graduate, and ADC students interested in working for the campus through the employment process. Our office is dedicated to supporting students in their search for work and providing an environment where they may excel and have an excellent employment experience.
The office also assists campus employers with the recruitment, hiring, on-boarding, and management of their student employees.
This section of our website is intended to serve as a resource for student employees and their understanding of campus employment at PLNU. Students will find information about the job search process, obtaining the first campus job, time entry procedures, direct deposit set-up, and much more! We have created a helpful “FAQ” guide, which will offer more specific information.
Your Job Search
Interested in working for the University?
On-campus positions are posted on Workday throughout the year, with the majority posted in late summer and August for the new academic year.
Instructions for accessing the job board are provided below.
Login to Workday using your regular PLNU credentials to see available jobs
- Under Career, select Find Student Jobs.
- Use the Filter on the left to sort jobs by Location, Department, or Start Date.
- View all open Jobs. Select a job to view details and description.
- Find the job you find most interesting, select APPLY.
Gather Required Documentation
Congratulations! You have been offered your first position working for the University! Before you can begin work or training, you are required by federal law to complete legal documentation, the I-9 and Federal Withholding W-4 forms, with the Student Employment Office. To complete the I-9 document, review the list of acceptable forms of ID in the link below. You will bring the documents with you when attending a New Student Employee Orientation hosted by the Student Employment Office.
Important Note: It is a requirement to have the original documents. By law, we cannot accept the scanned, copied, or faxed version of these documents.
Click on the button below to register for an upcoming New Student Employee Orientation.
Prior to attending the Orientation, you will complete the hiring forms, I-9 and Federal Withholding [W-4], on Workday. Please be checking your PLNU email as you will receive a message from the Student Employment Office with important information and instructions about this process.
On the day of the Orientation, please bring the following to the session:
- Your personal documents for the I-9 form
- Your laptop
- Your bank account and routing numbers if you are interested in setting up direct deposit
- A pen
You will be approved to begin working once you have attended the New Student Employee Orientation and completed the legal hiring forms!
Student Employee Handbook
Please use the following form for all Student Employment Inquiries not related to the new hire process. For new hire questions, please send an email to the Student Employment Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student Employee Recognition Award Program
Why We Celebrate
PLNU has outstanding students employed with the university! This program was established to recognize student employees who embody service excellence and dedication and whose academic achievements remain stellar. Managers have the opportunity to affirm their employees and to acknowledge their passion for excellence in their work and their commitment to our community!
Student employees at Point Loma Nazarene University perform invaluable services while cultivating important skills and experience for their future careers. Our student employees help our university thrive and are vital assets to the workforce.
We encourage all departments to recognize their student employees for their hard work not only during this time for the Student Employee Recognition program, but throughout the year so they know that their efforts and contributions are important and valued.
This recognition program is actually a nationwide process through an organization called the National Student Employment Association. Point Loma Nazarene University participates in this program as it is another opportunity to elevate the outstanding performance of our students. As a contributing institution, one of our student nominees will be selected as the campus representative for 2019-2020 to represent PLNU at the regional level. This nominee may then also have the opportunity to be considered at the national level!
The Student Employment Office recommends that you create your content in a separate document, then cut and paste the words into the nomination form. You will not be able to partially fill out this form and save it to complete later. Please review your responses very carefully before submitting for correct spelling, grammar, and to verify you have sufficiently demonstrated your student employee’s qualifications for each core competency.
Once completed, this form is to be sent to the Student Employment Office email email@example.com. They will send a confirmation of receiving your nomination. Nominations will be accepted through Monday, January 27, 2020.
Managers are invited to review the scoring rubric to understand how nominations will be evaluated.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student Employee Recognition Ceremony
The Student Employment Office is excited to announce the Student Employee Recognition Ceremony will be held on Wednesday, April 22 at 3:00 PM in the Fermanian Conference Center. We are honored to have Dr. Brower, President of PLNU, present at this event!
This ceremony is to celebrate the many accomplishments of our student nominees! Nominating managers along with the family and friends of our esteemed nominees will be invited to this reception as we formally acknowledge their talent, excellent service, dedication, and commitment to the University.
Student Employee Appreciation Week
April 13 – 17, 2020
Point Loma Nazarene University values our student employees, and we recognize the importance of their work. Every year PLNU celebrates their incredible impact during Student Employee Appreciation Week. This is a nationally recognized event across many college and university campuses.
Managers are encouraged to celebrate the many contributions of their student staff and to acknowledge their excellent work. Be creative, intentional, but most importantly, have fun!
Thank you in advance for creating a memorable week for our student employees so they know they are important and invaluable to our community!
A few ideas are listed below!
- Create Certificates of Appreciation and frame them. These can be the standard formal certificates or you can include a short upbeat statement under the name, which captures the students’ great personality, their excellent work, etc.
- Treat Day – staff bring in lunch or breakfast for all student employees
- Host a pizza party or ice cream sundaes
- Treat Week – bring a different treat each day – cookies, muffins, candy, fruit, etc.
- Snack Goodie Bag – fill little bags with small packs of crackers, cookies, granola bars, etc.
- Popcorn – Fill a bowl or individual mini bowls and place them on the students’ desks to enjoy while they are working – this week only!
- Take pictures of each student employee, post them on a wall, door, or bulletin board, and list what wonderful things they do
- If your office is equipped with a digital display, have photos of your student employees streaming throughout the week with brief comments recognizing the excellent work each student has done
- Make a colorful banner recognizing each employee and hang it up in the office for the entire week
- Give each student employee a thank you card signed by the staff and / or faculty
- Have staff and faculty applaud the students at a meeting or when they arrive to work
- Use YOUR imagination…. A simple THANK YOU for all you do will go a long way!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the policy for working on-campus?
PLNU students interested in campus employment must meet the following criteria:
- Admittance to the University as a degree-seeking student.
- Maintaining a minimum GPA of 2.0 and in good standing.
- Enrolled and attending the University for the semester in which employed. If at any time during the semester you discontinue enrollment, your employment is to end immediately.
- Qualified under U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) guidelines to work in the United States.
- Continuing studies with the University in a post-baccalaureate, credential, or professional studies program after graduating from the undergraduate program.
How many hours may I work each week?
Student employees may work a maximum of 20 hours per week during the academic year, 40 hours during Christmas and spring breaks, and 28 hours during the Summer, depending on your manager’s needs and their department budget. The maximum hours is including all campus positions held. Student employees are not to work more than eight hours per day, whether you have one or more campus positions.
How do I keep track of my time?
If you are looking to log your work hours on Workday, click here for instructions.
Do I receive pay for sick time?
Yes, student employees are eligible to be paid for sick time. Sick leave is provided to protect you against loss of income during illness or injury. California law states student employees are granted 5 days (40 hours) of sick leave each calendar year or upon hire. You may use sick time in increments of one (1) hour for the work time you missed. You may not report sick time for hours you are not scheduled to work.
Click here for more details.
Do I receive vacation or holiday pay?
Student employees are not eligible for benefits such as vacation or holiday pay.
What is direct deposit and how do I set it up?
Direct deposit is the electronic transfer of a payment directly from PLNU into your bank account.
Click here for instructions on how to set up direct deposit in Workday.
If I do not have direct deposit, where do I pick up my check?
Checks may be picked up at the Payroll Office located in Mieras Hall, lower level. You may visit their office during the week, Monday – Friday, between the hours of 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.