Writer’s Symposium by the Sea is an annual event that brings interviews with innovative creators, life stories, examples of great writing, and evocative conversation to PLNU that inspire readers and writers alike. Past guests have included Ray Bradbury, Anne Lamott, Philip Yancey, Dave Eggers, Amy Tan, Bill McKibben, Donald Miller, George Plimpton, and many more.
The evening interviews, conducted by symposium founder Dr. Dean Nelson, feature lively conversations about the stories behind the author’s stories. As a member of the audience, you will get to eavesdrop on these exchanges and perhaps even interact with the writer during a Q&A session. Specialized afternoon workshops, conducted by published writers, provide tips and insight into the writing process. You are invited to join us and listen in on what some of today’s cutting-edge writers have to say!
2019 Writer's Symposium by the Sea
- February 12 - Exploding the Myths of Publishing
- February 13 - Writing About War
The Evening Interviews
- February 18 - Jody Hassett Sanchez, Journalist, Documentary Film Maker, More Art Upstairs
- February 19 - Nnedi Okorafor, Graphic Novelist, Sci Fi and TV Writer, Wakanda Forever, Who Fears Death
- February 20 - E. J. Dionne, Washington Post Columnist, Author on Politics in America, One Nation After Trump: A Guide for the Perplexed, the Disillusioned, the Desperate, and The Not-Yet Deported
- February 21 - Christian Wiman, Poet, Essayist, Editor, He Held Radical Light: the Art of Faith, the Faith of Art
Follow the symposium on social media
Join the Mailing List
Please join the mailing list for the Writer's Symposium now to stay updated on this year's event!
Become a Friend of the Writer's Symposium!
To maintain the symposium's high-quality programming, we need your help to meet our yearly goal of $50,000 in donations. Please consider partnering with Writer's Symposium by the Sea by giving a tax-deductible donation. Every gift counts, no matter the size. Friends may give a one-time donation or an ongoing monthly gift.
For more information and to make a donation, become a friend of the symposium!
Thank you for your support.
Videos of Past Events
Watch past Writer's Symposium interviews online, including conversations with Anne Lamott, Eugene Peterson, Anchee Min, Bill McKibben, and many more.