Pursuing Calling Together Since 1902
PLNU, established in 1902, is a Christian liberal arts institution. The university was founded by Phineas Bresee, primary founder of the Church of the Nazarene.
PLNU is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) and has 11 NCAA Division II teams to cheer on.
PLNU exists to provide higher education in a vital Christian community where minds are engaged and challenged, character is modeled and formed, and service is an expression of faith. Being of Wesleyan heritage, we strive to be a learning community where grace is foundational, truth is pursued, and holiness is a way of life.
In addition to more than 60 undergraduate areas of study, PLNU offers graduate and degree completion programs on several campuses in San Diego County and Bakersfield. PLNU serves more than 3,500 students.
• Fall 2015 enrollment: 2,650
• 63.5 percent women; 35.5 percent men
• 15:1 student-to-faculty ratio
• 63 percent of incoming freshmen graduate within four years
• Average incoming GPA: 3.79
• Average SAT – Reading: 565, Writing: 558, Math: 569
• Average ACT Composite: 26.1
• 91 percent of students receive financial assistance
• 85 percent of freshmen return for their sophomore year
• 61 percent of students live on campus
• 37 percent of students come from diverse ethnic backgrounds
• 75 percent of incoming freshmen graduate within six years
• 2015–16 tuition: $32,900
• Fall 2015 enrollment: 806
• 72 percent women; 28 percent men
• 40 percent of students come from diverse ethnic backgrounds
• 67 percent of students receive financial assistance
For more statistical information, please visit Institutional Research.
A Diverse and Dynamic Community
From 40 states and 13 countries, PLNU students come from all over the world.Learn More About the PLNU Community
Critical, Thoughtful, and Engaged Academics
PLNU students have studied in 50 different countries on every continent except Antarctica in the last 15 years.More About Academic Quality
Intentional Career Development
Since 2005, 23 student films/TV programs have won 24 awards and appeared at 19 film festivals.Read More About Career Support
About San Diego
PLNU is located in the safe San Diego neighborhood of Point Loma. San Diego is the eighth largest city in America and the second largest in California. It is culturally rich and full of all sorts of intrigue.
Did you know there are more than 30 museums in San Diego? Many of those are located within Balboa Park, the nation’s largest “urban cultural” park. The city is also home to the world-famous San Diego Zoo, the Padres, some of the best beaches in the world, and an airport adjacent to a thriving downtown (which is a mere four miles from PLNU’s campus).
San Diego is an exciting, growing economic hub. It’s home to a highly educated population, full of many individuals pursuing entrepreneurial endeavors.
A few key industries:
- Cyber Security
- Emerging Technologies
- International Trade
- Life Sciences
- Defense and Military
- Sports and Active Lifestyle
Reasons to Love San Diego
- One of the 10 Coolest Cities in America (Forbes)
- In the Top 10 College Cities & Towns in America (American Institute for Economic Research)
- One of the Best Places to Launch a Startup (Forbes)
- No. 1 City to Escape Winter (Livability.com)
- In the Top 10 of America’s Thriving Cities (The Daily Beast)
- One of the Happiest Cities in the U.S. (Gallup)
- In the Top 10 Best Weather Cities (Farmer’s Almanac)