Bruce Mansfield is an associate professor of music and director of bands at Point Loma Nazarene University. In addition to directing jazz and concert bands at PLNU, he has been actively involved as a music educator serving as the director of bands at Anne Arundel Community College from 2011-2014, conductor of the Poulsbo Community Orchestra from 2014-2018, and trombone professor at Phoenix College from 2018-2021, as well as a clinician for bands throughout the United States and Europe.
As a Navy Bandmaster Lieutenant Commander Mansfield has performed throughout the world as a U. S. Navy musician since 2001. His assignments have included: Navy Band Southwest San Diego, CA; Navy Band Northwest Silverdale, WA; U.S. Navy Band Washington, D.C.; U.S. Naval Academy Band Annapolis, MD; and Commander Naval Forces Europe/Allied Forces Band Naples, Italy. Dr. Mansfield studied bass trombone with Murray Crewe, Peter Sullivan, Dr. Peter Vivona and Dr. Brad Edwards. His conducting mentors include Gary Hill, Dr. Jason Caslor, Anthony Maiello, and LCDR (ret) Stephen Trzcinski.
Dr. Mansfield holds Bachelor and Master of Music degrees in trombone performance from Duquesne University, a Master of Music in Conducting from Arizona State University, and a Doctorate of Musical Arts in Conducting from Arizona State University. In 2015, he was recognized with the Colonel Howard Citation of Musical Excellence for Military Concert Bands from the J.P. Sousa Foundation for his direction of Navy Band Northwest. Bruce and his wife, Lisa, enjoy traveling, attending concerts, mountain biking, and spending time with their children.
- B.Mus., Instrumental Performance in Trombone, Duquesne University
- M.Mus., Instrumental Performance in Trombone, Duquesne University
- M.Mus., Conducting, Arizona State University
- D.M.A., Conducting, Arizona State University
Experience in Field
- Director of Bands, Anne Arundel Community College
- Conductor of the Poulsbo Community Orchestra
- Trombone professor at Phoenix College
- Clinician for bands throughout the United States and Europe
- Navy Band Southwest, San Diego, CA
- Navy Band Northwest, Silverdale, WA
- U.S. Navy Band, Washington, D.C.
- U.S. Naval Academy Band, Annapolis, MD
Awards and Honors
- Colonel Howard Citation of Musical Excellence for Military Concert Bands from the J.P. Sousa Foundation