Dr. Crow holds a PhD in Pure Mathematics from the University of Notre Dame. Prior to doctoral work, he earned an MS in Pure Mathematics from Notre Dame and a BA in Mathematics and Computer Science from Mid-America Nazarene College. While his specialty is differential geometry (minimal surfaces), he works in social science statistics. Dr. Crow has served on several faculty committees and has served as the University's Chief Academic Marshall.
Dr. Crow is a practiced institutional and student researcher with extensive experience using SPSS and Excel. Much of his research concerns PLNU students, the University, and Nazarene pastors. He has conducted analyses of clergy retention. Dr. Crow's expertise is an asset for our honors students — his guidance develops sound statistical analysis in student research projects.
In his free time, Dr. Crow enjoys traveling. He is an avid woodworker and experienced cook.
- Ph.D., Pure Mathematics (Differential Geometry), University of Notre Dame
- M.S., Pure Mathematics, University of Notre Dame
- B.A., Mathematics and Computer Science, Mid-America Nazarene College
- Excel – CSC 181
- Pre-Calculus – MTH 123
- Computer Aided Calculus – MTH 131
- Calculus with Applications – MTH 144
- Calculus II – MTH 174
- Introduction to Statistics – MTH 203
- Fundamentals of Elementary Mathematics I – MTH213
- Foundations of Elementary Mathematics II – MTH 223
- Calculus III – MTH 274
- Problem Solving – MTH 303
- Advanced Linear Algebra – MTH 312
- Calculus Based Statistics – MTH 362
- Calculus Based Statistics with R – MTH 363
- Mathematical Statistics – MTH 382
- Mathematical Probability – MTH 392
- Topics in Geometry – MTH 402
- Complex Analysis – MTH 412
- Real Analysis – MTH 424
- Special Topics in Mathematics – MTH 492
Experience in Field
- Professor of Mathematics, Tenured – Point Loma Nazarene University, 1992 – Present
Professional and Community Involvement
- Mathematical Association of America
- Managing the Essentials of Life. Mission Church of the Nazarene
- MOC Lipid Screening – Created Time Series Graphs for Poster Presentation. UCSD Department of Pediatrics: Division of Academic General Pediatrics, Child Development and Community Health. August 2015
Awards and Honors
Dissertations, Presentations, and Publications
- Association of Nazarene Sociologists and Researchers (ANSR) Conference: “Millennials and the Church” (Olathe, KS) 19-May to 21-May-2016. We presented a paper on a longitudinal analysis of the “Social Values and Attitudes in the Church of the Nazarene.” The work was based on statistical analysis of Pastor’s and Lay Member surveys given in 1996, 2004, 2008, 2012, and 2016. Ron Benefiel, Greg Crow and Kenneth Crow.
- G. Crow and M. Zack, Undergraduate Research and Service Learning Projects Developed from Institutional Research Questions, Joint Mathematics Meeting, San Francisco, CA. January, 2010.
- Maria Zack & Greg Crow: Service Learning Projects Developed from Institutional Research Questions, PRIMUS: Problems, Resources, and Issues in Mathematics Undergraduate Studies, 23:6 (June 2013) 550-562.