Kerri Sevenbergen has been at PLNU since 2000, when she first joined the biology and chemistry departments as an adjunct professor. In 2003, she was hired as a full-time instructor and lab manager for those departments. In 2014, in response to the growth of both departments, Sevenbergen became a full-time faculty instructor and lab manager solely for the biology department. In addition to her responsibilities as biology lab manager, she uses her background in general biology and ecology/marine biology to teach Biology 103 (Introductory Biology for non-science majors) and co-teaches with Dr. Walter Cho on the marine biology course for the biology graduate program.
- M.S., Biology (Emphasis: Ecology, Behavior, and Evolution), UCSD
- B.S., Biology (Emphasis: General Biology), UCSD
- B.A., Psychology, UCSD
- Introduction to Biology – BIO 1003
- Graduate Marine Biology – BIO 6067
- Marine Vertebrate Zoology – BIO 3020
- Marine Invertebrate Zoology – BIO 3030
- Marine Ecology Field Biology – BIO 3040
- Marine Plant and Microbial Life – BIO 3070
- Human Ecology – BIO 1002
- Ecology – BIO 3060
- Introductory Chemistry Lab – CHE 1003L
- Human Biology and Bioethics – BIO 1001
Experience in Field
- Mira Costa College (San Diego, Calif.) Adjunct Professor Biology, 2000 – 2003
- Miramar College (San Diego, Calif.) Adjunct Professor Biology, 1997 – 2003
- University of San Diego (San Diego, Calif.) Adjunct Professor Biology, 2000
- Salk Institute Vision Center Lab (San Diego, Calif.) Laboratory Technician, 1997 – 2000
- University of California, San Diego (San Diego, Calif.) Teaching Assistant Biology, 1996
- University of California San Diego & SWFSC/NOAA (San Diego, Calif.) Master's Thesis Research Biology with Dr. Jack Bradbury, 1994 – 1997
Professional and Community Involvement
- PLNU Herpetology Club Advisor, 2008 – 2017
- Miramar College, Biology 106 Course Coordinator, 2002 – 2003
- Basketball Coach, Tierrasanta Recreation Center Youth Basketball League, 1992 – 1993
- Biological Trainee, Junior Fellowship Program, Southwest Fisheries Science Center, summers 1990 – 1995
- Volunteer Cruise Research Assistant, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, February 1996
- Student Research Assistant, Scripps Research Institute and UCSD, Department of Psychology, 1994
Dissertations, Presentations, and Publications
- Sevenbergen, K.L. (1997). "Abnormal Behavior in Dolphins Chased and Captured in the ETP Tuna Fishery: Learned or Stress-Induced Behavior?" Master's thesis.
- Sevenbergen, K.L. and A.C. Myrick, Jr. (1994). "Is Rafting, Sinking, and Sleeping Behavior of Chased and Purse-Seined Dolphins Caused by Glucocorticoid- Potentiated Endorphin Analgesia?" Pathophysiology, Suppl. 1, Nov. (abstr. WS6-I-2-05).
- Sevenbergen, K.L. and A.C. Myrick, Jr. (Unpublished.) "Is Rafting, Sinking, and Sleeping Behavior of Chased and Purse-Seined Dolphins Caused by Glucocorticoid-Potentiated Endorphin Analgesia?" Pathophysiology.