Whether you love the excitement of sports, serving the San Diego community, or encouraging and supporting others, consider being a part of the transformative and inspirational San Diego County Regional Special Olympics Track Meet at PLNU.
The Special Olympics is one of San Diego’s most anticipated competitions of the year. The event is held every spring on the track and field at PLNU and welcomes athletes competing for gold, silver, and bronze medals in running, throwing, and jumping events, as well as hundreds of volunteers and supporters.
The PLNU student leadership team that works to continually grow and improve the event experience is the secret to the San Diego Regional Special Olympics’ 20+ years of sustained success. As part of the leadership team, students are given key responsibilities in the organization, implementation, and execution of the event. From generating publicity, gathering sponsors and donations, designing a webpage and social media messaging, coordinating logistics, and leading volunteers, all aspects of the event are run and led by PLNU students.
Volunteers can participate in the following ways:
- Serving as PLNU student leadership team members
- Signing up as track meet event assistants (timers, measurement tape assistants, etc.)
- Assisting athletes as their personal "buddy" for the day
- Cheerleading at events and for athletes
- Supporting teams and team managers
- Setting up and coordinating registration of athletes, teams, and volunteers
- Lunch setup and service
- General setup and teardown