Coronavirus Information for the PLNU Community

Stay up to date with the latest developments >>

Cal Grants for Teachers

Cal Grants for Teachers

Cal Grant A and B Awards for Use in Teaching Credential Programs

Students enrolled in a qualified teaching credential program may be eligible to renew their Cal Grant A or B award for an additional year after receiving their bachelor’s degree. Teaching Credential Program (TCP) participants must continue to meet Cal Grant A or B program requirements and demonstrate financial need. This is a benefit extension to an existing Cal Grant program award. Students must submit a Request for Cal Grant Teaching Credential Program Benefits Form (G-44).

Cal Grant A and B recipients are eligible to be paid Cal Grant TCP benefits for use in a teaching credential program if they:

  • Have received a bachelor’s degree
  • Are accepted and enrolled in a professional teacher preparation program at a California Commission on Teacher Credentialing approved institution within 15 months of the end of the term for which the recipient last received a Cal Grant payment
  • Have not received or submitted an application for an initial teaching credential, such as a preliminary or clear credential
  • Do not currently possess any other initial teaching credential
  • Maintain financial need for Cal Grant renewal
  • Will be enrolled in at least 3 units as an MAT student. MAT students are considered full time at 6 or more units. Students whose tuition charges are less than the Cal Grant award amount may have their award reduced to match the tuition amount.

Follow these steps to apply for Cal Grant TCP:

Step 1: Federal Student Aid ID     
Retrieve your Federal Student Aid ID you received when filling out the FAFSA. If you no longer remember your ID, you can retrieve it on the Federal Student Aid website.

Step 2: FAFSA on the Web
After retrieving your FSA ID, you are able to fill out the online version of the FAFSA. A new FAFSA must be filed for each school year attended. Please file your FAFSA as soon as possible to ensure timely processing of your financial aid package.

PLNU’s School Code: 001262

Step 3: Form G-44
The Request for Cal Grant Teaching Credential Program Benefits Form (Form G-44) must be submitted to the California Student Aid Commission within 15 months of either exhausting undergraduate Cal Grant benefits or of receiving a B.A. or B.S. degree. The commission must approve the G-44 application prior to PLNU awarding the Cal Grant.

For additional information about Cal Grants, visit the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) online at

Federal TEACH Grant

Federal TEACH Grant

The Federal TEACH Grant program provides funds to students who are completing coursework needed for a career in teaching and agree to teach, for at least four complete academic years, in a high-need field (see this federal list) at an elementary/secondary school, or educational service agency (view a definition) that serves students from low-income families (see this federal list).

Annual Amount

Award Year Impacted Awards Statutory Maximum Scheduled Award Amount Percentage Reduction from Statutory Award Amount Dollar Reduction From Statutory Award Amount Adjusted Maximum Award Amount
2016–17 First disbursed on or after October 1, 2015, and before October 1, 2016 (FY 2016 Sequester) $4,000 6.80% $272 $3,728
2017–18 First disbursed on or after October 1, 2016, and before October 1, 2017 (FY 2016 Sequester) $4,000 6.90% $276 $3,724

Entrance Counseling

As a condition for receiving a Federal TEACH Grant, you must complete annual entrance counseling, which informs you of your rights and responsibilities.

Agreement to Serve: As a condition for receiving a Federal TEACH Grant, you must sign an annual Agreement to Serve, promising to teach in a high-need field at an elementary school, secondary school, or educational service agency that serves students from low-income families for at least four complete academic years within eight years after completing (or ceasing enrollment in) the course of study for which you received the grant.
New students qualify through their cumulative undergraduate or transfer GPA.

Aggregate Limit: $8,000 for graduate students


File the FAFSA, Free Application for Federal Student Aid (, and indicate your interest to the Center for Student Success office.

Who is Eligible

Students with at least a 3.25 GPA in these graduate programs:

  • MA in Teaching
  • MA in Education, Teaching and Learning
  • MA in Special Education

Program Plan Sheet

Since the Federal TEACH Grant is designed for specific programs leading to highly qualified teachers, your enrollment must fall within your submitted program plan sheet/advising guide.

Important: If you do not complete your service obligation, all Federal TEACH Grant funds you received will be converted to a Federal Unsubsidized Direct Loan. You must then repay this loan to the U.S. Department of Education, with interest charged from the date the Federal TEACH Grant was disbursed.

Learn more on the Department of Education’s website.

Vocational Rehabilitation

Vocational Rehabilitation

Vocational Rehabilitation (Voc Rehab) helps students to pay tuition and mandatory fees. In addition, Voc Rehab can sometimes be used to help pay for books. Award amounts are based on information provided by the student to the Student Financial Services (SFS) office and must be verified by the issuing agency. If the student has filed a FAFSA, Voc Rehab is treated as need-based aid, which means that if the student is receiving federal or state need-based aid, Voc Rehab may have to be reduced or cancelled to keep the student from being funded in excess of demonstrated financial need.