Always dreamed of being a teacher? Want to make a difference in the lives of children? Maybe you spent your childhood playing school, or perhaps a great teacher inspired you to follow in his or her footsteps. Maybe you've always known you wanted to teach elementary school. Or perhaps you're drawn to this calling for the first time. However you've been drawn to the classroom, if you want to be an elementary school teacher, cross-disciplinary studies: teacher education is the ideal major for you.
PLNU's teacher preparation program will:
- Give you real classroom experience through approximately 100 hours of fieldwork in local public schools
- Allow you to complete coursework for your B.A. and preliminary teaching credential in just 4.5 years (rather than the more typical five years)
- Prepare you to pass the tests required for an elementary school or special education teaching credential
- Ready you in an area of concentration (such as mathematics), so you can earn important supplemental authorizations for teaching in the upper elementary and middle
school grades (grades 6-8)
- Give you the option of preparing for and earning multiple subject (for elementary school teaching) and special education credentials for greater versatility and job preparedness
- Ground you with a strong focus on serving students, making a difference, and employing your faith in your vocation
The PLNU School of Education has an outstanding reputation in San Diego. PLNU is known for graduating teachers who are well-prepared to lead in their classrooms, who care deeply for their students, and who act ethically with a strong servant-minded perspective.
PLNU's partnerships with local school districts help to meet real community needs while making you classroom-ready when you graduate.